Guest bunee1

guineas...lets hope they like it!!!

Hi everyone :D this is my first post!!...we bought my daughter an (orange eglu) rablu for christmas with the intention of buying her a rabbit!!!...

she changed her mind and now has 2 guineas arriving within days..i thought nothing of this now im hoping they are happy in the rablu as i know they can be sensative little things..

anyone else got guineas in the rablu???

im more of a GNR person so any advice would be welcome thanks

Hannah and izzy

:P Hi .... I think the "Little Pigs" will be fine in the Rablu. Afterall, any other Rabbit housing is also sold for Guineas. :wink: . I recently saw a friend .. and she (the most unlikely pet person) had got 2 pigs for her twin boys :P . I was really pleased as they did ask my opinion ... and these little piggies are really tame and squeak to you. 8) .

Anyway ... I am not anti-rabbit ..... love all pets, but just giving some pig support :wink:

Hello Bunnee1

Welcome to the forum I normally reply to chicken topics but since I have t2rabbits and 9 guines pigs that live in the garden all year (not in a rablu though) I could share some of my experience with you.

I do not quite know how the inside of a rablu looks but thinking that rabbits

are bigger I would suggest you put a wooden house for the gps inside so that they can hide there and be warm. I would put some sawdust and some straw in it and plenty of hay. The guinea pigs that live ouside especially during the winter months need more grains than normal. The burn calories quicker to heat their bodies. I do not let mine run around in the grass in the winter actually they never really wanted to go out but I left the door of their run open so they have a chance to go . So far mine have been out the 3rd winter without major problems.Last winter we had -10 C and their water froze constantly but as long that they have enough straw and hay and the extra hous within the house they should be absolutely fine.

Let me know should you have more questions you can pm me anytime.

Good luck with the piggies, they are so cute you will see.... :wink:

Hello again,

When I ment grains I wanted to say that in the petshops or supermarkets you find special guineapigfood. This varies from hamster or rabbit food. I by mine in big bags of 3 kg since 9 mouths are always hungry. You should find this with no problems, no need to buy the most expensive brand though. I am not sure what you have in the UK but here I am not paying more than 1 £ a kg. Usally the package will tell you to give one teaspoone per pig per day but since they will be living outside you should fill their container and let them have as much as they like. Maybe they will leave some grains since they have a preference for just one type but I found that eventually they eat it up.

Oh and I forgot yesterday to tell you since they will probably come for a pet shop be aware of the temperature shock for them the first couple days. They will need to get used to the ouside temperature so fill the rablu up with a lot of hay that keeps them warm.

Love to hear how things will go the next couple of days. Keep me posted will you?! :wink:

8) Hi Hannah, love the avatar! The Rabblu sounds great for guioneas...a few of us discussed this a while ago, but you must be one of the first to give it a go.

Brilliant, I hope it goes well for you. My guinea is getting elderly, but, having kept several guineas over the last 20 years, I've promised myself that I won't be starting again with more.

I'll be alright until I see some! :roll: I'd definitely like to try them in a Rabblu if I did!

One tip, the mixed cereal for guineas is good...either a brand name, or, some pet shops buy in bulk & sell bagged up in smaller quantities. But, get the one for guineas, not rabbits...they may look the same but the former usually has extra vit. c that guineas need. :D