Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

No I agree with you in principle Clare, you're right. It's just very disppointing that some people have 'cracked it' and I can't.

My hair is in much better condition now than it was, so that proves that shampoo is not good for your hair.

I am still trying to find a 'natural' shampoo that I like and which works and then I might wash once a fortnight with it.

I forgot to add that when I was rinsing, if my hair felt crispy or dry, I used conditioner on the dry bits. It feels fab now and I seem to have found the balance - I was thinking that perhaps it only works on shorter hair, but then Anne's is long isn't it? :?

I'm sure it's the water. Everyone who has been successful has softer water than I do. Even HappyMama noticed a difference when she went to Cornwall where the water is harder than she is used to.

But you use shampoo regularly. I can go two weeks (I think) on just water after shampooing.

Still searching for a better solution . . .

Still looking for a house with a well . . . :wink:

Ginette, my mother use a lovely shampoo made by the Duchy of Cornwall. It contains no SLS, and uses all organic ingredients (as you would expect). I think she buys it in Boots - I'll go have a quick scout around on their website for you.

(edit) They don't have it on the Boots website - I'll phone my mum tonight, and check for you.

How brave, Sheila! How did it go? Are you pleased?

Having moaned yesterday, my hair is a lot better today and doesn't feel greasy. OH said it looked like I'd washed it yesterday, not today! My resolve at the moment is to press on with just water and see what happens.

Heck..Ginette, it's not about success or failure, it's about you doing what makes you feel nice. If it's not working go for the greenest shampoo you can find that works for your hair type. Claret's method might suit, you could try infrequent shampooing.

Right back at the begining i remember reading that some people wash their's with just conditioner or i find 3 egg and honey mix seems to cleanse mine as well as bi-carb. I'm sure you'll find the answer. Just don't beat yourself up if it ends up being shampoo :D

Anne

It's just me and my nature. :oops: I set out to do this and get to not needing anything except water. I've done all the hard work - over 6 months now - and the promised goal is not achieved. I find that hard.

Sorry Ginette, I'm wasn't having a dig. I just feel it's really important we feel good about ourselves. Not in a vain way ( i've got nothing to be vain about ) just a good inside ourself kind of way, if you get my drift. I hate to think your feeling miserable and we're only talking about using a little shampoo every now and then. I know i couldn't have done it and would have packed in ages ago if mine had kept feeling greasy. I take my hat off to you, it's far more than i could have managed.:D

Try the egg and honey :idea:

Anne

Well my very DD1 fingered my hair this evening and said 'I think you're getting dreadlocks' :shock::shock:

I'll do another water tomorrow as it is feeling dirty again now.I sort of can't be bothered to try anything on it because for several months now, nothing has worked. It is so disappointing. I almost would prefer to expect yuk when I just use water, then I'm not disappointed! And it isn't really yuk! yuk!, just doesn't look clean. :shock::(

:? Do you remember that I felt just like that a few weeks ago & yours was going well and now mine's at a stable stage again and yours is bad, but goodness knows why!

Will you be hopeful or envious if I tell you what happened yesterday?

When I booked the appt I told the hairdresser that I only wanted water, no shampoo or products. She started to defend their wonderful products, but I put on my determined look :shock: and said I'd wash it in the morning at home so it would only need water thankyou. I nearly tripped when she asked what shampoo I use! I wasn't brave enough to explain the whole no shampoo theory ( I thought it would repel her!) So, I truthfully said that I like to use my own natural products!

Well, I nearly forgot to say when I went to the sink, but when I did & reminded her, she was absolutely fine and seems happy to go along with it.

The last 2 days my hair has been smooth, silky & soft and clean looking and now I've had another inch cut off. She did a modern sort of blowdry style, but I've brushed it back again. :lol: She couldn't believe that I don't use a hairdryer either! I can't tell if I'm pleased with the cut yet until I wash it (water) tomorrow, but OH noticed ( :shock: ) and was pleased that it doesn't look too different.

Well, I've had a few good days as it's 12 since bicarb, & water is doing the trick. Admission time though....we have a water softener which I kept fogetting to refill with salt. It's just been up & running again the last couple of weeks. Perhaps it is the water!

On the other hand, perhaps I'll be back on the vinegar :wink: & weeping again next week, I daren't believe I've cracked it completely yet.

Because my hair was so terribly dry and split before I started, I feel spurred on to continue because I can see the difference in condition. But, I am going to investigate non sls shampoos, and re read your info on natural hair colourants, and won't feel disappointed if that's what I end up doing if I feel disillusioned with this method again.

Your hair looked fab 11 days ago, Ginette!

Sheila said:

we have a water softener which I kept fogetting to refill with salt. It's just been up & running again the last couple of weeks. Perhaps it is the water!

I am excited about this, especially as your hair has been fine, even silky and shiny. :D Please send me the details of what you have - I WANT ONE TOO!

Good news Sheila. I'm really pleased for you. :D I'm going to rinse in water again now in the hope that my hair looks reasonable this afternoon. I'm singing at a funeral at 2pm (work)

Hi, everyone. I haven't been in touch on the forum recently and my hair was doing just fine on plain water while we were away BUT for the last week I've noticed a patch on the top that's much greasier. Why? The rest of the hair is fine. It's now over 4 months since I stopped using shampoo and on the whole I'm happy - but what's with this greasy patch??