Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

You are very kind, Sheila! I think it's because a) we have soft water and b) my hair has always been fairly strong - coconut matting comes to mind. I do however have to blow dry and style it after each 'wash'. If I let it dry naturally it goes frizzy and horrible.

I never use a hairdryer or style my hair in any way! But I have frequently wondered what effect a hairdryer might have. Would it melt the grease so that I can just brush it out do you think? :wink: Actually my hair isn't greasy ever now. It does get dirty and looks it, but it's not greasy.

I'm looking forward to trying your water when we stay in March Louise - don't think it'll make much difference to Phil's hairstyle though :lol::wink:

I still have some of the expensive shampoos that my hairdresser used to give me and I do use them sometimes, but I have got a lovely Aloe Vera shampoo by JASON (non-SLS) that I used when I do shampoo. The Green People are sending me a sample of their Aloe conditioner to try, so when I finish all the 'hairdresser products' I will probably use these when I shampoo. I have persuaded my hairdresser against giving me products (it was very kind) He now gives me a free blow-dry and style when I need it for going out.

When I used spring water in Wales, it was the second 'wash' when I really noticed my hair feeling 'shampoo' clean, not the first. I wonder if you'll notice the difference in a weekend Claret? - I hope so!

Lo everyone, I'm back.

Had the last free (mystery shop at Saks) haircut 8 weeks ago, and am growing my hair again. Am promised one in March, so can get a trim if I like one, perhaps round the front so I can see.

Am stressed to hell and back, still in the middle of a divorce, deeply skint, believe I'm perimenopausal and have had colds and conjunctivitis TWICE in six weeks! Weyhey!

One thing that's struck me about this thread is it's made so many people seriously think about the necessity of shampoo, and look hard at what they use and why. This is brilliant.

No-one who goes back to shampoo or any surfactant/soapy stuff should feel guilty. I've been lucky, and I'm the sort who can go camping in a field full of sheep muck and not feel the need to wash for four days. I find, if I'm honest, I get quite itchy after about a week, and need to rinse, to clean my scalp of the scales.

Can't believe I've not bought shampoo for over 2 YEARS!

Any newbies on the thread? We're all old lags now! :lol:

Hello All.

My hair keeps plodding on, actually it's quite good. One new thing i'm doing is a half a teaspoon of red wine vinegar,( I found white wine didn't suit my hair and i think thats what caused it to be difficult back in the autumn.) mixed with 2-3 drops of peppermint oil. The peppermint is to calm my scalp and it adds a lovely fragrance. I swap between just water, my vinegar mix,every six weeks ish egg and honey or bi-carb. Thats sort of a routine :D

Hope your all keeping well.

Anne :D

Merryn, I leave it on for a while, maybe five mins. Then give it a good rinse, i can't promise it will work for you but for the moment i works for me, that might change come spring :roll:

Give it a go, maybe different oils suit different hair types :?: obviously white wine vinegar didn't suit whereas red wine does :?:

Let us know how you get on :D

Anne

Oh I forgot to say my hair is very long, you might need to adjust the amounts according to your own length. I'm thinking maybe fewer drops of oil the shorter the hair, we don't want it going oily :!: Just a thought, experiment with it,

:D Hello Ginette, thanks for asking. I'm keeping my head down :roll: because I'm going to keep using shampoo, so I'm not really supposed to be here. :oops:

Well, 10 months without was an interesting (?) experience/challenge. But, now I've started using good non SLS products, I think I'll stick with them. Faith in Nature at mo. then will try Green people & another (Clare suggested) sometime too. This topic has prompted the change, and I will never ever use a mainstream SLS shampoo again, nor on Esther. I find about every 5 days is fine for me, longer for Esther (until hormones kick in).

Life is stressful :( and it's winter :(:( , so I'm not going to be hard on myself & take up another challenge just now.

But, in the Summer I may well try just water sometimes & see how it goes.

I still love this topic though. Merryn & Anne are inspirational. Is your routine still working well, Ginette? As you know, I've found you, and Claret very helpful in this.

Sheila, I've been using Green People aloe conditioner and JASON aloe shampoo - they'r both great. I shampoo once a week and rinse in between - my hair is great - glossy and swingy, despite being coloured to within an inch of it's life.

Incidentally, when I asked Green People for a sample of their aloe conditioner, they sent me a whole normal size! :D

I have been using Green People products for a while. But it was only the other day that OH asked me if I realised where they were based. They're about 20 miles away from me, in Sussex, and I feel really chuffed! :)

I am still sticking to shampoo once a month and vinegar in between (twice a week). It gets progressively worse as the month goes on, but it's OK most of the time. When I used shampoo more often I found my hair became quite dry.

Today I took Anne's advice and used only half a teaspoon of vinegar in a pint of water. I am very pleased with the results. :) Not shampooed, but looks clean. I'm nearly due a shampoo and this will keep me going until Saturday or next week, whichever I choose!

I may do an extra shampoo this month as OH and I are giving a recital and shiny hair will help my confidence! Then next month we have a German guest staying for 10 days, so may have to top up then as well! But I try not to do it too often!

Hi all, a question for those who use shampoo or have gone back to using shampoo occasionally / infrequently, what are the big changes after using shampoo on your hair, more shiny, cleaner feeling :?: what :?:

I'm asking because i'm concerned that i'm fooling myself into thinking my hairs fine. Have i just learnt to love mediocre dull hair :?:

Share your shampoo experiences with me.

Anne :D

:)Anne, if yours still looks anything like it did last summer at Burghley, then its terriffic!

Although I was happy, but with highs & lows, for most of the 10 months, I qas having a stressful personal life this winter & just couldn't cope with bad hair days on top of it. Had life been bubbly, I would prob. have just done a bicarb or wholemeal & kept on water only.

When I had eventually gone onto just water, no bicarb or vinegar, my hair didn't look greasy, but I could tell that it was getting clogged with dirt. My hairbrush was disgusting, and that;'s what decided me.

So, the change in using shampoo now? My hair looks washed, instead of stuck down style, a cleaner feeling and my hairbrush is clean!

Really, I could have achieved the same with B & V, so I'm sure yours is fine. But I needed a therapeutic shampoo, a ritual washing away troubles I expect.

The length of old hair is too dry again, but maybe the new hair isn't, won't know for a couple of years whether the non SLS hair is in better condition!

For those who don't know, Anne's hair is gloriously long and had a just washed appearance which I never achieved. So, don't stop if you're happy Anne, it was just the right time for me. :)

Thanks for the kind words Sheila, but i'm not sure if i'm fooling myself. I think I'm going to do it for the full year and then I might try one wash with shampoo, just to see for myself.

I was just wondering if you'd noticed a big difference and maybe we do need shampoo :!:

I really do think my hair's ok, but I suppose I'm questioning it. Look at us as a small group and the results :!: I'd say very mixed just about sums it up and its not through lack of effort on anyones part, may the idea in the fist place is'nt such a good one.

On the bright side it's made us all realise what nasties there are in regular shampoo. Which can only be a good thing

Anne

ps i'm feeling miserable ( honest )I think this far on we should look at where we are :D