Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

Hello Everyone:

It has been raining all week so far...last night we had a tornado touch down w/in 15 miles of our place. We were lucky we only got rain and no hail or wind damage. The good news is everyone's hair looks messed up in the rain. So no one has noticed anything amiss about my hair. :D

I go on-line to a couple of web sites for new ideas on how to style long hair. It has kept the interest on the actual style and nothing else. One thing I have noticed is that the styles really stay in. Before this little experiment my hair was too soft to keep a style and it just slid out without a lot of extra effort.

I would agree w/ Anne, it so cool to be speaking to people half way around the world! 8) Last night I went w/ just water to wash my hair. I liked the result as much as the vinegar. Since going w/ only water is the goal, I think I am going to try to go w/o vinegar as much is possible. We will see... It may be naive but I am hoping that it will be a bit easier than last winter when I got 8 wks thru. When I quit I only used either Soapnut Powder or a non SLS shampoo.

Well, I have to go now. We are having another tornado situation and need to turn off the computer. Take care everyone!!

well I started again (or is it stopped?) out of sheer laziness and have just completed week three. I have found that not rinsing much at all has helped. I had planned to stop all the vinegar etc rinses but have only rinsed it with water twice in this time as well.

Might sound disgusting but it doesnt smell, that said by ultra sensitvie nose husband whos given up smoking (just the rest of me stinks apparently) and the major thing my scalp is feels ok. My hair only feels slightly bad and is loads better than last time at three weeks.

I think this really must depend on your hair to start with. It seems people with dry or curly hair find it better. My hair was in really good condition before and the not washing seem to overload it. After three months it was depressing there was no end in sight.

I'm not going to be religious about this if it gets me down I'll wash it but even if I do it every 3 weeks thats 17 times a year compared to the 104 it was when I did it twice a week.

8) That wa really interesting, Bron. & Schmoovalia, well done & good luck.

I too didn't find just water, or even nothing, any worse than using vinegar. Although I liked the bicarb washes, I do wonder if it took longer to settle than if I'd just used nothing.

I do miss the fact that it was easier to style, it's more flyaway since I stopped.

Popped by to say, I've had a big hair cut too! It's now only shoulder length, although I'm still growing it and think of myself as having long hair. :lol:

It's great to be rid of several inches of old, dry, split shampooed hair, so a greater proportion is now good hair. :D

Sheila, we'll have to meet up again! I need to see your new hair-style. :):) I hope you had better luck with the hairdresser this time. :)

I found the cold turkey worked .....:?

:shock: On your hair? Oh, I see..... :lol: Yes, water only seems to work well for you Louise, I might try that next time.

Schmoolvalia...rainwater is supposed to be good for the hair, did you collect some? :lol:

Ginette, "Ooops, word censored!"ody here noticed the cut, but it's about 8 ins shorter! :roll::lol: But, I'm glad, it's just tidier, not different.

Went back to the friendly but arm waving Italian. However, I took my Faith in Nature and explained why. :shock: But, we have the best products, look, W****, it's very good. I just stayed polite & didn't try to knock her shampoo, just stuck to what I wanted.She def. didn't understand why, although she knew the theory, & I didn't push it. But she asked about 3 times if she could use mousse, detangler, everything, on my hair and finally said, "You don't want me to use anything, do you?" :lol:

No-one noticed 8 inches shorter? :shock: That is a lot of hair!

I know what you mean about being pleased though - I hate people commenting.

No-one noticed 8 inches shorter? :shock: That is a lot of hair!

I know, it's incredible. But the style(?loose term there :lol: ) is the same, so at first glance it could still be there but hidden by clothing, except it's not! :roll::lol:

Hello! How is everyone? I am so pleased to have made it through my 2nd week. :D

Congratulations, Bronze, on starting the experiment again! Hope it goes really smoothly for you. Sheila, I am with Ginette, how could no one notice a hair cut where 8 inches were cut off? :shock: Did it come out like you wanted it to? Louise, I think this week I really enjoyed just the water only, cold turkey like. I don't see that it went any worse...

This week I went water only and I used the scalp massager from Caswell-Massey like a comb to better stimulate my scalp. I paid special attention to washing my comb and brush nightly to keep them clean, clean, clean. The hair does not actually seem to be getting any greasier. I still brush the oil down the length @ night prior to the wash.

Thank You, Sheila, so much for the rain collection idea!! I live in an apartment and it is difficult, but I did use my Pur filter and had a much better week because of it. :clap:

Happy Mother's Day Everyone :D

How was everyone's Mother's day? Hope it was wonderful for everyone...

This is the end of the 3rd week now and I am starting to get a little tired of this. I am still doing well though. Hanging in there as best as I can. I have a little bit of a waxy feel this week, I am not sure if that is good or not, but I do remember that from the last time I did this.

Take Care :wink:

Well my hairs very settled now and i've have my hair cut so it doesn't look so thin at the ends.

A word of warning i've recently clocked up a significant birthday and felt i should do something about the increasing amount of grey hairs. So i purchased onr of those was out dyes. Well i'm not if it was because my hairs is "naked" but the light brown dye turned dark mahogany. It looked quite nice but given my pale skin, looked terrible so i'm lightening it with lemon juice. Something else has also dawned on me, you know it says washes away in afew washes but when we don't use shampoo what washes it away :?:

Anne

It was me! I looked like a Goth after dying my hair dark brown (its natural colour). It came out black!

Last time I used half a packet of chestnut brown (I use Herbatint which has less chemicals) and it looked really nice afterwards, much cheaper too. :D

Hello!

Well, it's been one month today on this "experiment". This week was the most difficult by far. What week is the worst? It doesn't seem to be improving right now and I thought the fifth week is the worst :roll:

Anne, I was very interested in your hair coloring. My husband has been flirting with the idea of starting this as well but he colors his hair every other week. He started going white headed as a Freshman in high school. He is at a stand still right now until he figures out what could happen. I am not really pushing him, this has to be something you want to do.

Egluntime, I had no idea Mother's Day could be on different days of the year in other countries. Thank you for letting me know, still, hope it was wonderful. We don't have children yet, but started trying this Mother's Day. :pray:

Egluntime, I had no idea Mother's Day could be on different days of the year in other countries. Thank you for letting me know, still, hope it was wonderful. We don't have children yet, but started trying this Mother's Day. :pray:

Good luck! Practice makes perfect.! :lol:

Well it has been 6 weeks now and am close to my breaking point. I continually remind myself that it will be worth it in the end.

Yes, it WILL be worth it! I have now been without shampoo for over a year and I am very happy with the result. I just use hot water but occasionally I condition with a beaten egg. This makes my hair really soft and shiny and lasts for about three weeks.

So hang in there!

Dear Merryn:

Thank you very much for your encouragement...I am nearing the 2 month point and I just miss my shiny, soft hair. It is nice to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :D It is wonderful to know that you are so happy with the end results and I hope I will be as well.