Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

Well, Wednesday is the official 2 month mark for this "experiment". I am still a little grease ball. :roll: The funny thing is the grease has not made it to the bottom of my length. I thought I read that someone here has hair as long as mine and the entire length was finally coated, I am not sure if it was Louise. My hair reaches my bum. This is the point that I did not make past last time. :wall: I just keep going over the thread for inspiration. THANK YOU guys, really. Could not make this time around without support. :clap:

Anne (Myles) has very long hair too.

8 weeks should be a turning point. Over the next 2-3 weeks your hair should improve again. Fingers crossed for you!

Mine is okay but I am using a dot of conditioner at the moment as I am washing alot at work again :?

The whole length of mine is coated but the conditioner (a 10p sized splot only) helps to keep it curly rather than frizz up I haven't used shampoo in over a year now BUT I am going quad biking this afternoon and after the recent weather I can feel a wash having to happen as I may not be able to get the mud out so I packed avery dusty shampoo bottle this morning just in case :lol:

It is only the top layer that has anuy frizz in now so I only need a teeny bit of conditioner :? My hair is half way down my back if down 8)

Hi, yes I have long hair and it took ages for the oils to get to the bottom. Use some conditioner on the ends, that will help.

It took my hair about eight months to settle down the first six were the worst. I used the odd Bi-carb and vinegar rinse to get me through. I now mostly use water with occasional lemon juice rinses and sometimes I scrub my scalp with brown sugar, that makes my head feel lovely, but do it gently you don't want a sore head.

Anne :D

I keep trying me

I'm at close on a month again already and to touch it feels nice but looks horrible still so is worn up all the time.

I'm going to see how I go but I'm not sure I can keep iy up even though I want to as last time I got so disheartened that there wasn't any improvement even after quite a reasonable amount of time.

:) I found that the real improvement is really in the new hair growing through unharmed by SLES.

I would say that my pre experiment hair was beyond help, even brushing the oils down would coat it, but it couldn't repair it. At least it was coated in natural oil not "plastic", nor being stripped further. Remember "products" only claim to alter the appearance of split ends/damaged hair, they don't fix it! But, staying non SLES forever will fix it!

I came off the experiment in Jan after 10/11 months because my circumstances changed and I needed a lift, and our hair feeling good is such an important part of our wellbeing.

But, I will never, ever use SLES shampoos again, and use just water sometimes, with occasional "green" shampoo/conditioner other times. I may even go without again sometime, I do endorse the idea.

I must tell you...I can feel with my fingertips where the old hair starts...the new hair, ie first couple of inches (er, few cms..) is incredibly good condition. es, it's newer, but I'm sure it's noticeably because of being SLES free.

So, do keep it up everyone, but be kind to yourselves if you need to compromise.

Well 9th week done!

I can say my hair feels good, wonderful actually. I do brush my hair nightly with a natural boar's hair bristle brush. The oil is just not down to the bottom of the length yet. I do put natural jojoba oil on that part once a week. But it soaks in over the week like nothing was put on it.

It still looks the same really. I am lucky it is down to my bum and can go up nicely. The only part that looks wierd when up is the top part. I am hanging in there…I am a little impatient still.

:oops:

I am glad to hear that everyone is still happy with the results they had with their experiment. With my length I have learned to cut my own hair and go over the length twice a month to take out the split ends to keep it in good condition.

It seems to work really well. There are several men (my DH included) who literally just stopped using shampoo. A daily water rinse seems to do the job.

My DH, after 15 months, has decided to use a green shampoo about once a month just to remove residual dirt and flaky scalp bits. He has also noticed that it is not so effective if he lets his hair grow longer.

If you use lots of products, I'm not sure how you would manage, but it's worth trying. Or you could alternate water and shampoo so that you reduce your usage.

Let us know what happens if you experiment. :)

I suspect I may be getting 'product build-up'. My hair doesn't seem to stay nice for very long any more. :(

After stopping the no shampoo experiment, I used a green shampoo and only had to wash once a week, which was great. I then noticed it had slipped to 6 days and now I have to admit 5 days is probably right (although I refuse to succumb!).

This week after 48 hours my hair looks really dull and grotty. Yes, it needs cutting, yes I am very tired and yes, I have been under considerable stress all of this month, so all of those reasons may be contributing. I'm wondering if I should do a vinegar rinse to see if that helps. :?

:) Hi Ginette, I'm now doing the same as you, but going through a good patch. May I offer a couple of observations, based on mine?

Firstly, as you've identified already, my hair really shows badly if I am tired/run down. Of course, this also coincides with just when we could do with our hair looking good to give us lift, how mean!

So, number one...is there anything you can do for your whole self to alleviate stress & tiredness? Your hair is acting as a health indicator, don't ignore it.

Two....I find that it helps to change shampoo brands after 2 or 3 washes. I don't know why, perhaps my hair likes a surprise. :lol: But, I've always found this. I'll be happily using something & then the gap between washes seems harder. If I use a different product it seems revitalised.

In my case, I'll use Green People 2 or 3 times, then Faith in Nature the next couple, then back again.

Three...as this works well, and I'm feeling comparitively relaxed (whilst still juggling & running in quicksand :wink: ) I can even leave my hair a couple of weeks, or do just water a couple of times in between!

So, how about alternating brands, but more importantly looking after yourself. Easier said than done, I'll pm you. :) (When I've thought what to say :?:lol: )

:D Thanks Sheila. You have made some good points there. I have another brand anyway, so I could try that.

It's really good you can go 2 weeks between washes. :D

I read along too and was so impressed that I decided to have a bash but I'm ashamed to say that I only lasted 2 weeks. :oops: THing is now that I've washed my hair I really really wish that I hadn't. i WILL have another go and I WILL make it next time.

(The reason I gave in-I couldn't bear the smell of the vinegar solution and also someone thought I'd got wet hair but I hadn't it was just greasy :oops::oops: )

Well, it has been three months and a week. I caved after one month for a special outing and restarted. I am not seeing any improvement really. I am so greasy. :shock: I thought that between the second and third month the hair would steadily improve but that has not been my experience. I brush my hair nightly with a boar bristle brush then wash the brush to keep it clean and only use water with the "Snowy Message Technique" to shampoo. The oil is not making down the length well and I remember that it can take quite some time for that to happen. I am loosing patience but I don't want to toss in the towel. Any suggestions out there?

Try adding a teaspoon of vinegar to half a litre of water. It might get rid of some of the grease. For a real boost, bicarbonate of soda works.

Well done for keeping going!

xx

I can't bring myself to try this. BUT I've inadvertantly done it on James. It started during the holidays, he was in and out of water a lot but I never shampoo'd his hair. Still havn't. It looks lovely and often gets washed as he jumps in my bath and puts his head under, stands under the drip on the canopy at school or swims underwater in the hot tub.

Despite all the hot tub chemicals his hair looks lovely and not a drop of shampoo has been near it. Mum says it's wrong! She even said the other day, when are you going to wash his hair, it looks dull but I thought it looked shiney. I think it has got a little darker and thats what she picked up on.

I still can't bring myself to do it though, my poor hair goes through loads of colourings and also gets wet in the hot tub full of chemicals. Oh and I can just see me going through the greasy stage in front of all the kids I teach... along with my wind and halitosis from the lighterlife diet. I'll be the most talked about teacher in school!