Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

Oh Sheila don't be too disheartened :cry:

I was worried about confessing to the girl on reception at work as she is a hairdresser by trade and does it on the side to earn extra at night and she was really amazed and quite encouraging 8) She did try to pursuade me to try something but I was adamant that water worked for me and I was sticking to it :lol: Maybe you should try to find a sympathetic home hairdresser who will accept 'your' way of doing things after all YOU are the customer :wink:

As regards the adverts I have a cousin who is a model and she used to do alot of TV ads for various 'fashion' products the Right Guard one at the auction with the automaton bird in a cage is the only one that springs to mind at the moment and one in a gym I think :? Quite a long time ago now and she told me how they do all of the hair dye and product ads it is a spray on substance that is used and can be washed out so none of the colour and shine is actually real :shock: I really don't know how they get away with it to be honest :roll:

I suppose it is like pictures of food - never actually real :evil:

:D Thanks everyone, and sorry if my post seemed a bit obsessive about me & my hair! It really did knock my self esteem, and confirm my previous dislike of "having my hair done".

The point Ginette made is what I was trying to say. When you see someone in daily life, not just ads. with freshly washed, shiny, hair with a just washed look, it is probably, even though beautifully conditioned, drier than is healthy for hair protection, especially in the sun. Hence the vicious circle of needing more & more products to keep the condition. Mine is now self conditioning, and looks fine, but never has that clearly just washed look. On the otherhand, it isn't fly away either, so I'm happy!

Now that I know some of you quite well, please do tell me the truth next time we meet up (just phrase it well or I'll cry :roll: )

I'm really wishing that I'd taken a "before" picture, because even on a bad day now, I have to remember that my hair looked dry & matted before!

Thanks for the sympathy, I can feel bad enough about myself without going to see a 20 something hairdresser to humiliate me. :lol:

It's a shame that your hairdresser can't be more sensitive, the one that Rosie and I go to is fine about the way that we wash our hair.

Rosie has gone 8 or is it 9 months now with only 2 or 3 shampoos in that time. Her hair is in beautiful condition and looks lovely too. She has very thick hair like me.

I've been shampooing at the most twice a month and using just water, nothing else, in between. And i wash it about 3 times a week. My hairdresser says that it is in great condition despite the colouring, and that the colour doesn't wash out like it does when people use shampoo all the time. My hair is thick, shiny and swingy. It smells fresh and clean and looks good.

Sheila - just stick with what makes you feel good about yourself even if it means finding another hairdresser.

Sheila

Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the hairdressers :(

I have a friend who never has her hair washed at the hairdressers and always asks for a 'dry cut' it is a bit cheaper (goes back to her poor student days) and they just spray at bit of water on and then cut it

Jules never has her hair washed there either and she has very long (not for much longer, having it cut off tomorrow) and it is very thick and they just put a spray of water on and cut it

I once won a free cut and blow dry at Toni & Guys and I was dreading going because I thought they wouldn't be interested in a middle aged housewife turning up for a freebie at their salon, but they were absolutely fantastic and treated me like a queen, free tea and biscuits it was really nice. I must go back there again but they are very expensive

:) Thanks, you two. I could easily just ask for a dry/spray cut at my old hairdressers, but she isn't very good at cutting!

I think I was partly upset that I thought I had found someone good, and I hadn't. The other part was the fact that I paid a lot to feel miserable, which doesn't make sense. She really was quite rude, I was squirming. :(

It's a long time since what someone else thought about me has upset me (at least 5 mins). Still, now I can save lots of money not going to the hairdressers, I've never enjoyed the experience anyway. Even on my wedding day I did my hair myself. The week before I had a trial run at the hairdressers (my first ever visit :shock: ) and came home in tears. Lucky I had a trial run!

I've been thinking about my earlier post. I hope everyone knows that I wasn't implying that "Ooops, word censored!"ody else should use shampoo, or that my hair was in any way better. I assure you all I didn't mean it to come across like that, if it did.

But funny I've kept going with this, and it all started with OH saying "What would you think of having a couple of hens in the garden?"

I've been thinking about my earlier post. I hope everyone knows that I wasn't implying that "Ooops, word censored!"ody else should use shampoo, or that my hair was in any way better. I assure you all I didn't mean it to come across like that, if it did.

It didn't come across that way at all Sheila.

It's a real shame that that hairdresser couldn't even have the decency to be nice to you - what a bag!

Just to let you all know that there is a good article in The Daily Mail today about a woman who has not washed her hair for 6 months.

It shows the good & debates on what may not be so good about adopting this regime,& even thought I am a "washer" I found it really interesting :P

I have now read this article - OH bought me a paper when he saw the article in someone else's newspaper on the train!

I think the 'after' picture looks as if she hasn't washed her hair and the comment about it being in the early stages of dreadlocks alarmed me.

She has not done the same thing as us at all. She didn't cleanse her hair in any way for 4 months. Now she rinses it in water about once a month. Her hair looks thick and clumpy. Maybe the picture isn't flattering . . . She says it is shiny and healthy. maybe its texture will improve in time.

After 9 months without shampoo (but using other cleansers) my hair doesn't look very different from how it was 10 years ago. It had become rather dry and flyaway/frizzy before starting this and now it is smooth and healthy and much nicer.

This girl reckons that although she is a petite size 8 in her 20s, she has had more admirers since starting this. I find that hard to believe.

8) Thanks, Ginette, the cutting arrived in the post yesterday. I thought her "after" hair looked lovely. I'm cross with myself for not having a proper "before" picture, but then I just embarked on this without really thinking or realising just how long I would keep it up. But I know, that although my hair doesn't necessarily look great, it didn't before either &it's in much better condition! Perhaps after 3 years it might even look great.

In the article, she had not used water either to start, and now just every fewweeks. I felt using water was necessary for me to feel clean, although possibly it's the brushing that removes most "stuff". However, mine appears worse after water until it settles again, and I have even gone 10 days or so completely dry, & it looks better and better, never greasy.

For me, brushing or combing is an essential part of it, as the woman in the article found too.

I think the people who have tried this and found it successful know far more than the experts. The trichologist who rubbished the idea probably had a closed mind to the theory, whatever the results. I'm convinced that natural oils are enough for hair & scalp protection, that shampoo removes them, and that once settled, the body balance ensures that only the necessary amopunt is produced.

I#'d love to evangelise about this except I wouldn't like the personal publicity, I'm not going near a newspaper or TV.

Just the world wide web then... :roll::lol:

I still haven't told Shep. I think Charlot is the only one who knows outside this forum. :lol:

Well, there you go then! I thought her hair looked much nicer 'before' than 'after'. So it's down to personal taste and opinion. It might also depend on what type of hair we have.

I am on water only at the moment. I no longer get the 'looks worse after water' effect. I am getting very muddled over which day it is/was at the moment, but I think I last used a herbal shampoo on December 1st. Since then I have done a vinegar rinse (?) and a bicarb (21st Dec) and two waters since then.

I had found that my hair was terribly tangly and it was difficult to get a comb through it at all. :shock: My thinking was that this must be down to the shampoo (supposedly natural) so I am trying to stop using it - or maybe cut down to once a month. Since using just water, my hair has been easy to comb. I don't like brushing it any more though :( because it feels too thick to get a brush through.

Being on just water means I need to rinse it more often though - probably every day but that's too much bother for me! I might do it every other day though. Maybe it'll improve with time, but then I remember the very hard water we have here, which doesn't seem to help. :(

I am so intrigued by this topic, and would really like to try it but a wee bit scared. I have right hair trauma anyway - I myself HATE the hairdresser experience - I have been only a few times and they always managed to humiliate me. I have got rather thin long mousey hair which i cut myself to save the embarrasment. Surely it can't look any worse than it does now. (by 'worse' I mean not styled - not like an advert).

My friends are always telling me how some highlights would look good - or a bob (!). I find thier comments hurtfull - can no-one have natural hair these days????

Anyway - good on you - and ALWAYS ignore hairdressers!!!!

I have mousey coloured hair LH, and used to have highlights - I stopped this summer and am now getting used to its natural colour. It used to be naturally dark blond until I went for a short cut instead of long and I found it depressing to be mousey. I like it much better without all the chemicals and won't go back to highlights.

I think the colour at the moment is 'Mink' - or 'Rat' :lol:

Mine has been a sort of coppery blonde for years now,but I have just had very bold red & blonde highlights.

I like it - The Hubby didn't even notice :roll::roll::roll:

How drastic does it have to be before they notice?!!! :roll::roll:

It sounds lovely, Sarah. It feels good to have a change now and then, doesn't it. :D

I would like to report some renewed enthusiasm! :D

I haven't used my herbal shampoo for 4 weeks now and my hair is fine. It got very dirty on Boxing Day after 2 just water rinses and as we were going out I was tempted to shampoo. But something made me feel this wouldn't be right, so instead I used vinegar (1 teaspoon in a pint of water). My hair came out clean and shiny and I am so pleased! :D Tomorrow I will do another water rinse just to refresh it, but actually it still looks fine after 4 days. :)

I feel like celebrating, but don't want to be premature! I'm really hoping i've climbed up another level at last! :D:D

8) Brilliant to read those posts everyone.

Lesley H. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Us mousey brown, natural non styled, hairdresser haters must stick together, I found your words very supportive. :D

We are a rare breed - I read an article that said 95% of women in the UK dye thier hair in some way...how shocking is that??? No wonder we feel insecure and outnumbered!!! We shall have to counteract these feelings with self-riteousness and smugness!!!

8) Brilliant to read those posts everyone.

Lesley H. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Us mousey brown, natural non styled, hairdresser haters must stick together, I found your words very supportive. :D

We are a rare breed - I read an article that said 95% of women in the UK dye thier hair in some way...how shocking is that??? No wonder we feel insecure and outnumbered!!! We shall have to counteract these feelings with self-riteousness and smugness!!!

I read something about the chemicals from hair dye taking just two hours to get from your scalp into your urine, the most harmful dyes being the darker ones :shock::shock: It was a few years ago though, maybe they have made the formulas safer :? Personally, I have never used a permanant dye on my hair, or had highlights.

I am also a mouse brown, natural non styled hairdresser hater, I have been to a hairdresser just once in my life, and wish I hadn't bothered. Now I get a relative to cut the back and I do the rest. Sometimes people ask what colour I have on my hair, I suppose they just don't know what hair really looks like 'au natural' :?:?:?

On a hair washing note, when I started work in the 80's a rather well educated blond man came to work with us to complete his underwriting training. He had an Edward VIII style haircut, and hadn't washed or rinsed his hair for years. He told us that he always had a dry cut at the barbers, and hated using hairdressers because of their insistence on using 'product' on his hair. He was adamant that just brushing and combing his hair would redistribute the natural oils and keep his hair both clean and healthy, and he had really nice hair too!

Hi all, just a quick note.

All going well and my hairs behaving really well a the moment, it feels soft and looks good, apart from more grey.

Hope your all well :D

Anne

p.s I've come out to lots of people now, so my confidence must be growing :D

It's good to hear from you Anne. I think the last time you posted, you weren't too happy, so I'm really pleased it's all going well. 10 months now!!!! :D

I haven't needed to use shampoo still, so that's just over a month now. I think I am using vinegar once a week now and although I feel I'm trailing behind some of you, I am really chuffed and excited by this! :D

Hi Ginette,

Good to hear from you, glad your hairs feeling better too. I think our hair is about the same good months/ bad months :!: . I've decided it's because our hair now completely natural, so it will ebb and flow with the seasons. My feeling is that spring will be another challenge then settled again for summertime :?:

Just a theory :?:

Anne :D

:D Anne, that's great to hear, I'm so glad it turned out well for you to keep going.

Good to read the other posts, and of Ginette's renewed enthusiasm.

:? Now, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think that by the time you read this post, I will have used shampoo & conditioner. :shock:

Part of me feels that I should keep going, it's nearly a year & I thought that I might just stay "no products" forever. But, my mind is made up (I think :roll: ) and it's not a hasty decision. I did mention this to Charlot today & she said leave it a week and see if you still feel the same. Wise words, but I think that now is the time for me, I don't feel as if I'm giving in.

Although it has often felt like an endurance test, it's not the point (I wouldn't give up if it was!)

I'm feeling really positive about going onto the next stage, and I'll explain my reasons.

I know I've been very upbeat recently about staying on the project, but my hair is never actually great. I'm thrilled to have done it, may even do it again, and have learned so much.

I intend to never, ever use general shampoos containing the SLES that were highlighted at the start of the topic.

So, I shall be starting on the ones Charlot uses, "Faith In Nature" which I'm hoping will mean that I have clean, goodlooking hair without it being stripped of all it's natural oils.

Esther had her hair stuck & sprayed down for the panto & it has lacked any attention for 5 weeks :oops: It was completely matted, and instead of using the usual L'oreal or similar, I tried Charlot's on her. Miraculous! Yes, a lot of combing done, but at least it was possible & it's really shiny & smooth.

My hair looks OK but never more, although I know the actual condition is tons better. I'm now fed up with the hairbrush being disgusting. Obviously the brush must be removing the dirt so the hair I'm satisfied is clean, and doesn't smell or even look greasy, just boring. But, I would like to carry a clean brush!

So, I don't see this decision as a negative thing. A year ago I would never have been persuaded to change to an expensive organic shampoo, and knew nothing of SLS. I'm glad that I did the water only part, and believe that the theory really does work in practice. My only slight regret is that I wonder if some of the dullness is either from recent events, or the fact it's winter, or both. I would have been interested to see what this Spring & Summer held.

But, that's not enough to keep me in. Thanks for supporting me along the way, and for all that I've learnt here too.

Oh, and I do hope that this doesn't put anyone else off. :(

I think the recent events would be affecting how your hair is behaving Sheila.

I quite understand that you may feel the need to use shampoo now, but perhaps Charlot is right in saying to wait for a while?

Your hair looked great last time I saw you, clean and healthy and not 'boring' at all.

I used a Faith in Nature shampoo for the first time last week instead of my usual Lush solid shampoo bar (which does contain some SLS) - my hair has been dry and knotty ever since :? Could be the time of year :?