Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

...... She is not suffering at all and said that her style is holding better .... It must be something to do with our hair tpye...

8) Wow, I'm pleased your Mum is doing so well & finding it beneficial, that's amazing to have encouraged someone else to join in.

Yes, I think hair type makes a difference, the hair reverts to it's true natural state. Yours will be glossy and wavy/curly and mine will be dull & lank :lol::roll: It certainly does hold it's style, it's just I don't have a good style.

Still, just used vinegar again before w/e I wish I could be bothered to heat rainwater :roll: can you imagine? :)

Anyone else still enjoying the benefits? (or, hanging on in here anyway? :lol: )

I used my new shampoo on Thursday but I wasn't all that thrilled. It seemed to dry my hair rather like bicarb. I realised that this shampoo may well work better with spring water anyway.

Yesterday I rinsed with just water and now I'm sporting the slightly greasy effect. i've got another 'natural' shampoo made by The Green People, which I may try next time.

I still feel really disappointed that I am thwarted by my water supply!

Hi All,

Just been catching up. It's really interesting that you'r all talking about water quality. Whilst we've been away, we have had very very soft water, it gave us all difficulties. Even Alyssa ( who uses shampoo ) found her hair really greasy, not of us felt clean.

It's good to be back, we all love the sea but not the tap water

:lol:

:) Good to hear from you, Anne. Soft water problems on holiday? I thought our hard water was the worst for cleaning! :lol: I just used water yesterday though and I'm quite pleased. Not stunning, a bit set, but then my growing out fringe isn't in my face, and some people pay to have their hair set like this! :lol:

I'm glad you're still "in" Anne. Honestly everyone, she has the most amazing, long, glorious hair! Do you find that the new hair growing looks in better condition than the end of the length, which of course is prob. about 4 years old? I can't wait to eventually trim all the old away, and only have new hair.

I've been slightly concerned that too much hair comes out in the hairbrush. However, I can see brand new short strands too, so it may be a good thing long term.

Hi Sheila'

Yes soft water, i only used mild vinegar rinses, but Alyssa just couldn't rinse out the shampoo and my hair just never felt clean :( . The water was quite odd, it even tasted slightly salty, maybe it was from a bore hole or well, i'm sure it wasn't mains. Our water at home must be somewhere in the middle.

My hair feels much softer on top these days, the ends still get the odd blob of conditioner, just a small amount rubbed in the bottom 12 " and not rinsed out.

I'm also losing vast quantities of hair, i think it's the time of the year. Either that or we're going BALD :lol: . Still easy to keep clean :idea:

Anne

:shock: Perhaps we're moulting, see we're turning into hens! :lol: I am watching out for hair loss, as my family (female side) tend to go thin, and I'd like to avoid it, not speed up the process. So, I hope it's not more than it should be. I can't think of a scientific reason why no shampoo would create hair loss, so, I do hope it's being replaced at the same rate or more!

It doesn't look thinned, just lots in hairbrush. Ah! :idea: Perhaps fewer down drainpipe!

I'm afraid I temporarily dropped out, as what with sick kittens, wedding planning panics and constant rain, I just couldn't cope with the stress of icky hair as well :(

I think I need to wait until I get back from my honeymoon...

I used the Green People shampoo yesterday and my hair looked clean and shiny. I had been cautious because it advises that you use their conditioner too and other products like this say you won't need it - and indeed with just water you don't need it. My hair was tangly and difficult to brush through, so I am still suspicious and won't be using it again. It claims to be organic and natural but there must be something in it not suitable.

My mother has suggested we look for a house with its own well . . .

Louise, if you were a little bit nearer to me :wink::D I'd be asking if I could wash my hair at your house twice a week!!!

:lol::lol: Well, I bicarbed today, just to feel really cleansed as it's been 2 weeks, with just one vinegar and the rest plain water in between. It looks & feels fine. It was OK before really, but it felt as if it was building up to needing more than water.

Hi again, here I am!

I'm ever so ever so tempted to cut the (longer) top of my hair so I can wear it spiky, and then grow it out.

Forgive me, girls, but I always had long orange ringlets as a child, teen and young adult. It's lovely to have hair that does as it's told for a change.

This scalyness on the scalp. It's meant to be there, I'm sure. I have it, to a lesser extent as my hair is obviously quite settled, but I'm sure it's part of the scalp's protection from all the rubbish we throw at it.

I do know it gets worse when I've had my hair shampood for about 6 weeks, then it all comes off, which looks a bit like soggy dandruff on the roots of my hair, but not so bad now it's short and sticks up so you can't see the roots. So for one week every so often I'm careful how I brush, and rinse well. Does this help?

Here in Darlington we have good water, it's not hard or anything, I should know, my DH chemically doses the stuff to make it potable up at 'the Works'. They don't like to make tap water too acidic as it eats the old pipes.

I've just come back from Cornwall, and the water was quite hard there, soap didn't foam as much, and my hair wasn't up to much, either, It's much more soft here, so I am beginning to wonder if the water quality is the difference between those who find it a quick and relatively painless process, and those who don't.

So, soft water area girls, was it easy for you? I suppose those who live in Yorkshire and Lancashire will be soft water peeps, they didn't build a textile industry on that land for nothing.

Technically, potable tap water all over the country should be much of a muchness, as although they all start with different water states, (river fed or reservoir fed are obviously very different) they have a very strict limit to produce water to. They do add some horrible stuff, though, Lime and CaCl to control acidity and alkilinity, Fe and SO2 to take the bits and colour out, then filter it though activated carbon, and sometimes the (river) water's so dark they can't get enough de-darker into it to make it acceptable so have to ask for special permis. to put mucky-looking water in the nation's taps.

Right, off to catch up on the holiday washing, and the fact that two weeks off at the end of August means I've missed all the work bookings for September so now have to scrabble around for the leavings that other mysers don't want. It's not looking good.

For what it's worth, I did the dirty deed with shoulder-length hair. Now I have short hair, the cycle from soap-washed at the hairdressers to fine again is much shorter - days rather than over a week.

I'm delighted that I can make it stand on end MOST impressively without any product, though!

What a discovery then! That is so interesting and so encouraging too for people like me. I have tried so hard for nearly 6 months now and endured really grotty hair, only to be thwarted by the hardness of my water. :cry:

Is there anything I can do to get softer water in my shower - which comes off the mains?

Louise - I thought you had a week off! Hope you had a good journey home and it was great to meet you and see your fab hair! :D

Have you tried them Clare?

My brother has just fitted some to his car and is very impressed with the smoother engine. Too early to say if it helps fuel consumption too.

So on the back of that, I thought the water ones might be worth a try!

I had one fitted to our incoming mains, and there's no appreciable decrease in the amount of limescale in our water.

I tried them because I didn't fancy the cost and chemicals associated with the regular type of water softeners. I am sticking to our filter jug - I use filtered water for drinking, cooking, the kettle and iron and it's much purer and softer. Unfortunately we still have the limescale gunking up the shower and everything else :roll: . When I have the cash I will get a filter tap fitted to the sink, I wonder if a fliter cartridge can be fitted to the incoming mains :? .