Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

www.thesoapshed.co.uk

They sell at country fairs etc in the South Wales area, but also by mail order. You have to email to request an order form and price list, but the products sound worth the effort.

Aaaargh!

Sorry I have not posted for a while but I have been keeping an eye on how you are all doing, and i'm impressed :)

I am now into week 7 and my hair looks fine. The problem is my scalp :shock:

I had for some time had a dry and flakely scalp and this improved no end when I stopped using shampoo.

However, last week it seemed to return with a vengeance and feels really itchy and flakely again. I wear balck most of the time at work so this is not a good look :oops:

Does anyone have any suggstions as i don't want to give up now.

Pam

Hi Muppet, you're doing well!

I'm not sure anyone else has suffered with a flaky scalp after stopping shampoo, but I remember Anne (Myles) once used demerara sugar. She massaged this into her scalp to loosen the dead skin. I remember that she was sore afterwards and thought she had rubbed too hard, so be careful.

This is just an idea, it might be what you need - or it might not! Good luck!

I'm not really watching this thread properly (being a bit of a committed hair washer :oops::oops: ), but would a bit of sea salt not help with the dry skin. Exfoliating your scalp in the same way that you can exfoliate the rest of your skin with it :?

Of course you'd have to be very careful not to get it in your eyes- I guess that'd hurt.

Just an idea, but quite possibly entirely without value :roll::oops:

It is now two weeks since I used shampoo and I have only used water since. :D I've used the water at home this morning just to check my theory. I was very tempted to use my new 100% natural shampoo bar though! Kind of hoping I will have to next time! :?

What do you think of this?

http://www.soorganic.com/product.php?productid=204&cat=0&page=1

Although you lot aren't possibly the best ones to ask...... :D:lol::lol:

That looks like the same product that was posted on page 76 of this thread. I think RedFox was going to try it.

I have bought some of this http://www.greenpeople-organic-health.co.uk/Product_Details.asp?Pc=C001&cc=C which I found in Wales before I was given the SoapShed bar. My daughters are going to try it out. It also seems to be free of everything, but I was a little unsure about its recommendation to use their conditioner as well. The SoOrganic one above actually says that you won't need conditioner after a couple of washes. The lady who gave me the SoapShed bar uses SoapShed stuff all the time, her hair looks gorgeous and she said she doesn't need conditioner because it is so soft.

I'd recommend these products to everyone (although I haven't tried them yet) because I read in the latest OrganicLife magazine that 60% of the chemicals we put on our hair and skin is absorbed into the blood stream. Therefore it must have an unnatural effect on our bodies.

What size is an ordinary shampoo?

I would guess there are financial advantages with this though - no conditioner for a start. Also as your hair adapts to not having chemicals stripping it, you probably need to shampoo less often. Maybe once a week or even once a fortnight? So the product may cost more, but will last a lot longer too! It might not work out more expensive than an off-the-shelf brand of shampoo.

"this week I have been mostly using water". :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

My herbal SLeS-free shampoo arrived yesterday so I'm going to try it tomorrow - my hair is a bit greasy after 5 days with nothing but a vinegar rinse midweek, but not unpleasantly so :)

August 11th - that's 10 days ago. She must have used it by now!

:lol: ....yes, yes, really helpful tempting me with yummy sounding shampoos when my hair looks disgraceful & feels worse than disgraceful! :wink:

The main prob. is that I just have yuk hair in no particular style. It would still look stupid with shampoo. The growing out fringe thing is driving me nuts.

Did bicarb Sat, but although felt clean, just looks, um, helpless, hopeless, something like that.

I'm still intending to continue (if you'd all stop talking about shampoo :twisted::lol: ) because I believe it will be much better in about 3 years. :lol:

Aggghhh. What style should I have?

Please don't try & answer that, it's the sort of question designed to send LSH out of the room!

Oh, did make one discovery though. At the beginning, I used baking powder, not having plain bicarb to hand. I think the results are much better! So, I'll use baking powder next time.

I don't miss the old shampoos, but I'm really tempted by the ones in this discussion.... :roll:

Well, I rinsed with water again on Monday, to test my theory about the spring water. Although it felt clean and I think had a bit of a shine, by the evening it was already starting to look 'due for a wash'. During July I had a miserable time - water made my hair yuk, vinegar was even yukkier and even the bicarb stopped working. I shampooed in order to visit the hairdresser, survived the following week with just water, went to Wales for a week and my hair was really clean, light and shiny after rinsing with spring water. So I conclude that just water does work, but not here with Sutton and East Surrey water. :(

So next time, I am going to try my beautifully packaged 100% natural soap. It's made with olive oil, pure essential oils and spring water. If it works, I think that is the way I shall continue. No conditioner necessary and I anticipate only needing to use it once a week, possibly with a water rinse in between. I have discovered from the last 5 months that I don't need and don't want to put harmful chemicals on my hair. I have also (hopefully) found a way at last of avoiding that but still having healthy nice-looking hair. :D

I'll let you know how it goes. I shall be so disappointed if my hair doesn't look fantastic!

:D I'm sure it will look great doing that, Ginette.

Yes, Louise's spring water made me think about our hard stuff here and the fact that my hair looks worse after rinsing, not better! So, I think you're right, Ginette.

If I can get a routine going, I intend saving rain water and heating it for my hair rinses!

(Family; "What's cooking?" ...."just heating the water for my hair...."

:shock::roll: )

Apparently my grandfather always rinsed his hair in rainwater (I bet he didn't heat it!). I thought it was funny when my Father told me that decades ago, but now I can see where I get it from! :roll::lol::wink:

I like the pressure of the shower though. I'm sure the speed at which the water runs through your hair helps. DH suggested I bought big bottles of spring water to use on my hair, but I wasn't sure. I suppose if the hair isn't really getting dirty, it would probably work and a 2L bottle should be enough.

I used the shampoo this morning - no instructions so I had to make it up. It comes as a hard block of soap, so I just rubbed some onto my hand and then onto my hair. I did two shampoos this time as my hair had started to grease up, but I'm not sure that was necessary. fingers crossed for a good result! :?

Well if you though I sailed through this think again :shock:

I spoke to my mum at the weekend and asked how it was going she replied absolutely fine :shock:

She is not suffering at all and said that her style is holding better and it takes longer before it starts to look frizzy :lol: It must be something to do with our hair tpye I think my mun is really curly compared to me 8)