BooBoo

Do Guinea Pigs and chickens get on?

Hello - I'm new to this forum. I have two guinea pigs and yesterday I ordered my first eglu and chickens! They are due at the beginning of April!!!

I was just wondering whether guinea pigs and chickens get on and whether there is any chance of cross infection between them? (i.e mites etc). I know a lot about g-pigs......but not that much about chickens

:D Welcome to the forum! I just had to reply when I saw your username; our last guinea pig was called Boo Boo. We kept guineas for about 17 yrs and had 7 (4 homebirths) at one stage.

When our Boo Boo was the last one left (she, and the others all had long, happy lives) I decided that really my guinea keeping days would be over when she went, rather than start again.

However, whenever I see them, I'm so tempted, they are lovely animals.

So, guineas & chickens. My 2 favourite pets! I had them at the same time and don't see a problem, except that the hens could try & peck eyes, because they're shiny. So, mine were always separated by the run. But, they all seemed happy with the close, but not touching, company.

Sensible precautions need to be taken with both creatures to avoid parasites. I don't think having either one will have an adverse effect on the other.

How exciting! You'll love having chickens & guinea pigs, they're just as easy in my opinion. (I've never had any other pets except fish.)

Hope you enjoy the forum too, welcome aboard. :)

PS....I might have to go & look at the guineas at the local garden centre next week! :lol:

I've just joined this forum to ask basically the same question! We received our Eglu and chickens this morning and when I saw the size of the run I wondered if our 2 Guinea Pigs could share this space during the day (to save having 2 separate runs on the lawn). Let me know if you get an answer and I'll post back here if I find anything.

I posted the original question. I have had chickens and gpigs for a few weeks now and I keep them far apart!

The chickens are just too 'pecky' and big to be near g-pigs. The first time they free ranged on the grass they were far too interested in the g-pigs and kept pecking at their run scaring them! :shock: .But to be fair to the chickens, random things such as the wind blowing a leaf can scare my gpigs, they are not brave creatures :lol:

Now the hens free range at the top of the garden and can't even go on the lawn near the g-pigs.

Hi,

I have two guinea-pigs and four bantams and they seem to get on pretty well, but having said that they are all free-range during the day so the guinea pigs can run off if things get violent! The main issues seem to be that the chickens want to lay in the guinea pig hutch and eat their food! It's quite funny watching the guinea-pigs try and steal carrots back from the chickens and run off!

What surprises me is that the guinea-pigs are not frightened of the chickens but my cats are! :D