superjules

Suitable plants for the chicken run

In order to brighten up the chicken run and add interest, I was thinking of planting up some pots, troughs and tubs to go in it. As I don't want to poison my chooks what should I avoid? Are there any plants I could use that are either beneficial or medicinal for chickens? (eg, repels red mite, encourages helpful predators like spiders that eat red mite.)

Does anyone else have plants in their run? Would they get decimated within 30 seconds of me putting them in there? Am I being too optimistic?

Thanks in advance.

I would have thought that tough woody herbs like lavender and rosemary would have a decent chance against chickens - plus they'll make the run smell nicer! I've seen plenty of spiders on my lavender bushes, but I suspect that hens would eat garden spiders! :shock:

Plastic plants might be good :D

I have a lone hyacynth growing in one of the runs at the moment. It looks very pretty :D

(It wasn't intentional)

Problem is, even if they don't eat the plants they tend to scratch them out.

Edited by Guest

I have a jungle style garden with lots of spikey plants, bamboos and ferns.

Cordalines (spikey red or green colours), Phormeums (sp!) - another spikey plant usually black coloured and ferns - my chooks dont touch. :D

Avoid ornamental grasses - they look nice but my chooks eat them (cos they love grass) and the grasses are quite long so not good for their crops.

I planted some rosemary in the run at the weekend - trying to make it a bit more exciting for the girls as I am out for most of the day.

My herbs (rosemary, lavender, chives, thyme) are the only thing in the the garden that has survived their digging and eating. Bought some plants for my border at the weekend so the netting will be coming out again...

Based on your replies, I have decided on perenial herbs for their aromatic properties and hardiness. I've bought some mint, rosemary, lavendar and a selection of others.

Luckily the Wiggly Wigglers brochure arrived today with and I may order some of the more obscure ones from them to grow from seed too.

I'll let you know my progress. Thanks all for your help and suggestions.