SLK69

Rescue this Friday?

Hi,

I'll be about from early doors on Friday, I'm driving down the night before and staying in a travel lodge on the M65 - what elegance and luxury. Obviously I shan't sleep with the excitment - :lol:

If any one is about for a cuppa tea - I would love to pick the brains of an experienced keeper of ex batts (haven't kept any kind of chooks before)

But we are all so excited - Even my mum has come round as I have let her name one of them. She was v. down on the idea - but the lovely purple cube has brought her round I'm sure - it looks so cute and I've explained how easy it is to keep clean - There was mutters of how ideal her garden was 4 keeping chooks too.!!!

So far the kids have come up with

Fluff-Lee (Grace aged 3)

Fluffy 3 6000 (Ben aged 6)

Henny Penny (Grannie)

McNugget (OH)

and I don't know, I was never able to name my kids till I had a good look at them, I think it might be the same with my chook.

I keep reading that one in every 5 exbatt hen dies within the first three weeks - :cry: will it happen to us?

(cube purple):whistle:

The BHWT do ask people to adopt a minimum of 3 just in case you lose one. Although some of us have lost ex-batts in the early days of their freedom I don't think the proportion would be that high.

We adopted 3 and lost one just short of a year later.

Its a lovely thing you are doing - enjoy your special girls. They may look a bit odd at first but they soon deelop individual personalities.

I've had 12 ex-batts at different times since April 06. All my ex-batts lasted well so don't worry about them, honestly. I don't know where you read that 1 in 5 ex-batts dies, I can't believe that and please don't let that put you off. They are the loveliest and friendliest chickens you'll ever have :D

I think we will be there early on Friday as well, I won't be able to wait any longer. I just hope I have everything ready, I need to get the bedding and everything into the house but I am watiting for it to stop raining! - ever the optimist. How many are you getting SLK69? We are getting 4 but wish I had asked for more. I have also seen the 1in 5 statistic which is quite worrying especially when you are new to the whole chook keeping business.