Janty

How many bantams would be comfortable in an eglu?

At the moment I have three pekins and a buff orp miniature in the eglu. I have just bought a converter and a run. We may be getting two Rhode Island red bantams at the weekend and I was hoping to house these with the other bantams in the eglu with extensions.

My girls do free range as much as possible but I was wondering if people think that the girls would have enough room in this set up.

Please excuse me...I feel guilty enough leaving the four bantams in the eglu when I go to work.

I'm the wrong person to ask Janty - I have 10 bantam babes in an eglu with an extension on the run :oops: . I have to add that they freerange all day, and on the very odd occasion that they need to stay in the run for a bit, they are fine and have plenty of things to play with in there.

I have an RIR bantam and she is the friendliest bird I've ever had, follows me around, joined at the hip and handbag and is a brilliant layer. Wonderful nature too and very bright... good choice Janty!

can we have some photos?

My 4 all pile in the nest box at night so I can see that 10 would easily fit in to the eglu.

But there must be a limit to the number you need? What a lot of beaks to feed. My bantams eat more than my big girls when they are not broody. I notice that 3 are piled up in the nest box today :roll:

Better get out these with the ice pack...

I bought a cheap batch of 6 assorted bantam eggs. I thought the odds on all six hatching being low and I have space for a few more anyway. I tried candling them a couple of days ago. Two were maybes but will have to see. I dont hold ou tmuch hope.

Fingers crossed you will get one and it'll be a girl...

If I had known you wanted to hatch I could have grabbed you some eggs before the others went off to the farm...mind you it was still a bit cold then (they had already hatched one lot, but lost them - our man did not exercise any control over them)

But there must be a limit to the number you need? What a lot of beaks to feed.

I know what you mean. We get through 4 bags of layers mash with bokashi in just under a month plus pellets, etc. I don't mind though. The chickens have become part of the family and although we have 15, the ex-batts don't really lay and the rest give us about 6 eggs a day on average. However, it was our choice to go with pure breeds and the hens have been the best pets for teaching son about responsibility, etc.