Hi everyone - I'm new and I've just ordered a cube (and I am really looking forward to it!).

Hiowever, someone (who has kept chickens for years) said to me that although they look good, as they are made of polymers, condensation will form inside the house - which could then lead to dampness in the house and infections. They also said that chickens need perches.

I must admit that I didn't think damp was a problem because the eglu is double skinned. What do you think? Do they suffer from condensation inside? and are the roosting bars the same as perches?

Thanks in advance

Jill

Welcome to the forum Jill. :lol:

Sounds like your adviser has no real knowledge of the product. We come across anti Eglu bias from time to time. :lol:

The Eglus and cubes are well ventilated. I have three Eglus and I have never had any problems with condensation, so let me put your mind at rest about that one.

As for the "perch" issue....that is what the roosting bars are for. :lol:

I have absolute confidence in the product, and for that reason I too have ordered a cube.

As long as you are scrupulous about cleaning the cube out regularly, there is no reason for you to be alarmed about infections.

And you can point out to your friend that the cube is fox resistant and another bonus is that you are far less likely to get redmite in a cube than in a wooden ark.

Enjoy your cube! :lol: What colour have you gone for and how many hens are you getting?

I knew they must be wrong!! Maybe because the Eglus aren't traditional, people get the wrong ideas. The products seem really well designed, so those basic things must have been thought about! Thanks for putting my mind at ease though!

I must admit that one of the things that made me choose it was the fact that it was so easy to clean. I went on a chicken keeping course at our local agri college about 18 months ago and I was a bit put off by the upkeep on traditional houses (and red mites and other parasites that lurk!) - I don't mind a bit of hard work, but don't see the point in making work!!

Anyway, I've gone for the blue - and 3 chickens - one pepperpot and 2 gingernuts. They are due with us at the beginning of June (the delay was my choice because of things already booked!)

Thanks for the welcome

Jill

I agree with the others, but if you (or the person that advised you) need any more reassurance why not arrange to go visit one and see for yourselves?

Eglus and cubes look tiny in the pictures and I think you really need to actually see happy hens and talk to their owners to really appreciate how great these products are

:lol:

Eglus and Cubes are well ventilated - my husband was concerned that there were holes and gaps until I pointed out the hens would suffocate without air! We have never ever had a problem with damp.

There are "perches" for the hens so no need to worry there either. Actually I am going to make some spare roosting bars for my cube and eglu so I can give the existing bars a really good scrub. The plastic just gets cleaned out every week and pressure washed once a month. The clean out takes minutes and is a job I really enjoy doing. I could do it faster but the hens like to help out.

I've never seen condensation inside mine - they are very well ventilated. The fact that so many people own Eglus (and post on here) is testament to their success. If there were a problem with damp, perching or anything else you would soon read about it on here!

You can put a perch in the run for them, people put branches or bits of wood in, but the roosting bars are designed for them to perch on at night.

We have 5 hens, an eglu and a wooden henhouse. We built the wooden henhouse to give them more nest boxes, but at night, from choice, they all sleep in the eglu and I have never seen a drop of condensation. They are all very happy with the roosting bars too.

Thanks everyone - my mind is back to being excited again!!

Re"I agree with the others, but if you (or the person that advised you) need any more reassurance why not arrange to go visit one and see for yourselves?"

We did go to see one on Saturday - which was what made my mind up - totally happy chickens and a very easy to look after cube (and lovely eggs!)

You know how it goes sometimes - when you've just made a decision and ordered something expensive, along comes someone to put doubts in your mind (or is it just me?!!)

Jill

im not just saying it because I have an eglu or cube - but I have never had damp or condensation in ours.

We are in our 2nd year of chicken and eglu keeping and our hens havent told us that they arent happy in the cube/eglu :wink:

perches - I've met people with chook houses with perches in and their chickens dont use them!

Welcome! I ordered exactly the same and it's fantastic! :D The girls are lovely, Pearl (PP) is the shy one, Opal (GNR) is bossy and Ruby (GNR) is the one that realised when she gets picked up she gets a treat and so hovers around your feet!! :roll: I've had my girls 7 days and they already have so many funny ways! :lol:

No condensation in my Eglu.Perhaps if it was sealed like a Tupperware container,but they're well ventilated and double skinned-rather like a house! :D

I guess some people see the shape and colours as wacky and immedietly write them off before researching them.

I have a BLUE eglu. I have maybe mentioned this on 10 different posts tonight!! It arrived today. :D:D:D

I think it looks great, cosy inside and just enough ventilation. I am going to see a breeder tomorrow with whom I spoke on the phone today, for once he was not 'anti-eglu' - unlike some of the others I have spoken to. I am going to take him a spare Omlet brochure so he can see just how funky and practical they are :D

I knew they must be wrong!! Maybe because the Eglus aren't traditional, people get the wrong ideas.

Thats it is a nutshell JM!

A local lady who sells chicken supplies and breeds blackrocks (aka Pepperpots) was very negative about my eglus, until we really talked about them. She ended up saying that for decades, chickens houses were always made of wood and the eglu was a 'modern' alternative.

People are coming round and she couldn't believe how quickly I cleaned out both eglus, without having to spend ages 's"Ooops, word censored!"ing' :wink::wink:

Good luck with your new hens!