craftyhunnypie

Does anyone know if.....

Buff Wyandottes & Partridge Cochins can be sexed at day old chicks?

I only ask as my eggs are due to hatch on Monday & were wiggling about last last. Very funny to watch!!! :lol:

We have set up the heat lamp and are testing the temperature & it doesn't seem to be warm enough. But do the chicks absorb the infra red heat and the air temperature stays room temperature or what? The shavings feel warm & the teddy bear that is in there is warm..the are obviously absorbing the heat, but the thermometer (new digital one) is only reading 19 degrees C ..our average room temperature.

Where should the thermometer be..in the shavings?

Emma.x

I don't know about Cochins, but you couldn't sex Wyandottes as day olds (unless you were a pro at vent-sexing). At about a week you might start to get clues from the way they feather up.

Are you using an infra-red lamp? - I use a ceramic dull-emitter bulb as it doesn't give out any light, only heat, so the chicks get used to natural day and night. I've heard infra-red light can cause depletion in the vitamins in the chick crumb and also cause the chicks to be irritated and start pecking one another :( .

I use kitchen towel over non-slip rubber matting for the 1st week or so, then put them onto Easibed - I've heard of chicks being put straight onto shavings, and they eat the shavings and sometimes choke on them, so you'd need to watch them very carefully.

I've never used a thermometer in the brooder - just observe the chicks behaviour, and you can tell whether they're too hot or too cold. If they're cheeping a lot and huddled under the lamp they're too cold, if they're avoiding being under the lamp or breathinfg with their beaks open, they're too hot.

Hi - I've sorted the temperature now - thanks to my sister, who has called round & checked everything. She has hatched lots of chicks & they have always been raised on shavings & infrared heat lamps with no problems, so I think I will stick to her recommendations. (Her hubby is a farmer too). She has also brought me a brand new infra red bulb as a spare too.

Just been watching all the eggs moving about, so funny - wiggle wiggle.Been singing to them & talking to them!!! :shock:

SO it's just a matter of waiting now, which is really hard to do, knowing that they are kicking away in the eggs!

Been trying to listen for cheeping - my sister says she could hear it, but I probably wouldn't anyway - due to not being able to hear certain tones. I can't har digital alarm clocks, that's why I have a cockerel alarm clock! :lol:

I didn't think you could sex Wyandottes or Cochins, but I have been told I will be able to sex the Cobars. Apparently the males are lighter brown with a pale spot on their heads. So watch this space!!!

Emma.x

I use a red bulb though next time it will be a ceramic one. I keep mine on hemcore with kitchen towel over the top. I change the kicthen towel daily because they poo soooooo much. Then after a week or so I stop using the towel.

I do know of people who've had chicks eat shavings.

I know plenty people use IR without any problems but I also prefer the idea of them getting natural day and night time.

I whistle and talk to my eggs when they start rocking and rolling :oops: and I'm convinced they move and cheep in response - I can hear them cheeping in the eggs when I'm in the dining room on the computer and they're through in the utility room - it's lovely :D

Good luck with the hatch.

I use a red bulb though next time it will be a ceramic one. I keep mine on hemcore with kitchen towel over the top. I change the kicthen towel daily because they poo soooooo much. Then after a week or so I stop using the towel. Oh and make sure the heat source is down one end so they can escape to the other if needs be. I put the food and water down the cool end so the water doesnt evaporate and the heat effect the crumb.

I do know of people who've had chicks eat shavings.