Staffordmum

One broody bantam - what are the other two doing?

I have 3 bantams in an eglu.

I collect one egg daily from underneath the broody hen. Am wondering why the other two aren't laying elsewhere?

Have read up on dunking the bottom etc. and in the process of such remedies.

Just wondering if the other two may be under the weather also?

I found my others didnt lay as much when I had brooies. I have no idea why though. I provided them with a seperate house when I gave the broodies some to hatch and they did start laying more again.

I don't have an alternative unless I house them with the Gingernut Rangers in another eglu. Not sure how the littluns will be received....

Neither do I have fertilised eggs for Mefys to hatch.

What to do?

Could they be getting fed up of waiting for the nesting box to be available, and have taken to laing under a shrub in the gsrden?

Actually, we keep them confined to the eglu at this time. So, unless someone's eating the eggs (shells and all) they just haven't laid - it's been weeks since we collected them :cry:

I have 3 bantams in an eglu.

I collect one egg daily from underneath the broody hen. Am wondering why the other two aren't laying elsewhere?

Have read up on dunking the bottom etc. and in the process of such remedies.

Just wondering if the other two may be under the weather also?

Broody hens dont lay - their job is to sit and hatch. What is more likely is that the others are laying (hence the one a day) and the broody hen is finding it and sitting on it. I had exactly this some time ago - if there was an egg around, our broody one would push it around until she could sit on it. Its not fair on the hens to keep them broody if you are not going to hatch out eggs and they should be broken of it. Best way is to stick them under a bucket for a day or in a wire cage that is off the ground.