AJuff

What to do with the eglu?

I use mine as a hospital wing when i have a sick chook or to separate a bully when they need bring down a peg or two :lol:

Also its brilliant when i rescue more ex-battery girls as they would struggle to use the ladder on the cube until they are fully recovered.

Having two homes - the eglu and the cube, allows me to integrate each set of girls slowly instead of having to plonk them all together and possibly having WW3 start! :shock:

:lol: Have more hens of course! We have a homebuilt Fort Knox hen garden containing all 3 henhouses and they choose which one to sleep in.

Would get even more hens as they'd fit, but it's an urban area, not sure it's sensible just in case a neighbour complained, although they haven't so far.

Mmmm, maybe a couple more. I don't want to part with the original Eglus but also love the Cube. :D

I would say keep the Eglu and run if you can, but sell any extensions so it doesn't take up all that much room.

It will enable you to split hens differently in the future. The Eglu is good for growing on young ones who are too vulnerable and small to stick in with the older ones.

One day it may be the older ones' turn: you could be left with two elderly slow hens, and if you have an Eglu to put them in you can introduce a strong young flock in the Cube. It would be a shame not being able to introduce any new young layers because you have two hens in retirement who don't want lively young companions jumping around them.

It gives you flexibility and scope. Anyone who has had unpleasant introductions will understand how lifesaving it can be to have a second option.

You can leave the Eglu on a patio as an objet d'art until you need it: it will stay nice and clean while it is empty. In fact, you could grow tall flowers in pots up through it: the run would act as a perfect support!

Mine currently has Mum and chick in it. I've used it for various things though. Like others I've used it for introductions. I've had my larger chicks in it til they get bigger. I couldn't do without it really. At one point I had it in the cube run and all seven of them (bantams) decided to sleep in it so when my new runs finished (yes it has been started finally!) then they'll be using it in there and my new ones (currently in the incubator) will get the cube.

I could never part with my orange eglu (I love it :D ) I actually prefer the eglu to the cube.

We did have 2 eglus and the cube - we sold the green one (space issue) now the orange is a "holiday home" as the eglu is so easily transportable its going to my sisters in September when we go on holiday for 2 weeks. :)