Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't really see anywhere else to put it!

We have an issue with the chickens coming on to the yard and leaving us brown, smelly gifts, which is a particular problem as my brother has to manouver his motorbike around it most days. Consequently, my mother purchased some Omlet poultry netting last week. My concern with this, however, is that it won't be strong enough to withstand our dog jumping up at it as soon as he realises that his access to the rest of the garden has been restricted - certainly, I can see no way in which we can keep the chickens off of the yard without restricting his access to most of the garden. So to my question - how strong is the netting, and am I right in thinking that the dog is likely to break it almost as soon as it's set up? Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas as to how we can maintain Scamp's access to the lawn AND keep the chickens from messing on the yard, not necessarily using netting? That one, I fear, is quite a long shot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - the netting has yet to leave its box, as I'm reluctant to set up a £70 barrier only to have it destroyed almost immediately ;)

I have the netting- but only cats, I have no experience of it with dogs. But, the netting gets booted with footballs by my boys & withstands it, also the poles are quite flexible and bounce back when pressure is put on them. The netting itself seems very tough, & you do get some spare netting stuff with the omlet netting to repair any holes which may appear.

I have no idea how to fence off some of your garden so your dog can get access, sorry.

Omlet netting is proper poultry netting that can be electrified - it is really strong and has metal threads running through it, so I do not imgaine a dog would break it. The poles are bendy - my cat has managed to launch himself at it and bend it down and jump in and out - we just bend the poles down to climb over it as well.

It will keep chickens in, but would not keep predators out (unless elctrified of course).

Tracy

I think because of its flexibility the dog is unlikely to break it. I cut my netting into three bits, because I found the whole thing too difficult to manhandle on my own. I try and set it up so the cat has a sort of 'corridor' to the end of the garden where he squeezes his fat furry booty under the fence, otherwise he gets a bit confused! Do you think you could do that so the dog can still have some garden?

I think it's well worth the money, because it is so flexible. Don't be afraid to restrict the chickens to a limited area, they quite quickly get used to it and it will still be a change from being in the run.