NatalieC

Chicken breaking her own eggs

For the last three weeks, Laverne has been laying her eggs very early each morning so that when I let her out each morning she has pecked a hole in the end of the egg (looks like she's bashed it with a little spoon!) and either left it pecked or eaten the contents. She only does this with her own eggs and leaves Shirley's untouched. I've tried letting them out earlier and earlier in the morning but it seems to make no difference as the eggs are still vandalised (goodness knows what time she's laying). What can I do to stop her, as she lays every day (with the odd softy here and there) and our egg supply is now greatly reduced. Is she just bored or missing something from her diet? Shirley is laying perfectly normally and they both have the same diet and have been wormed recently. Please help!

Have tried putting the mustard egg and golf balls in - this morning she'd laid two soft shelled eggs and eaten both. Tomorrow she should lay normally (this would follow her usual pattern) so that should be our first proper attempt at stopping her or putting her off. Will keep you posted!

Not good news, despite the golf balls, mustard egg and me getting up at 5.30 to let them out Laverne has done the same today. She hadn't laid when I let them out this morning so I thought I cracked it (excuse the pun!). However, I've been on a school trip with my daughter today so asked my Dad to check on her mid morning and he found another vandalised egg. She's obviously had a good go at the mustard egg again as there is mustard everywhere - I think I've got a delinquent chicken on my hands. In the meantime, I'll persevere and tonight I'm going to put a boredom buster seed ball in the eglu as a distraction. Fingers crossed.

Hooray - an undamaged egg!!! :D This morning Laverne had laid two eggs, one soft shelled and one small but perfectly formed egg. This is the first one she hasn't broken for weeks and I was starting to lose hope! I'm not sure what the secret is as we've tried everything but fingers crossed we'll see an improvement now!

We seem to have sorted it with Laverne, she's laying normally (one egg a day) although the shells are quite delicate. I think the combination of mustard, golf balls, boredom busting seed ball in the eglu and getting up extra early all helped. I've also been a lot more generous with the straw in the nesting box (I had been a bit tight with it as Laverne used to flick it all over the garden). Perhaps she likes the extra padding! A friend who also has chickens has said that hers have started to break their own eggs too and she's actually caught them at it and found that a blast from a water pistol does the trick! I'm very relieved to have sorted this as I was despairing last week and thought we'd never get another egg. Stick with it, its a difficult habit to break but it can be done.