LJ's Chooks

Northern mite?

oh no!!!

Just checked one of my chooks, cos she had started to look dull for the last few days... I'd put it down to the fact that she had been pecked badly a month or so ago (pickle) and so we'd sprayed her with stockholm tar, now she's been dust bathing so thought it had just stuck....

How wrong could i have been.... she is infested. I've just put as much battles louse powder on her and red mite powder in the bedding area.... is there anything else i can do? The other girls won't let me near them to powder them too....

I think its Northern Mite... it just looks like the photo in this months PP... page 15, but it doesnt say how he is treating it?

any suggestions?

Stupid question comes next.... can humans catch them... I'm a bit worried about the kids? :oops:

Hi Claret, Does DE and other powders not work? If it's not licenced in the uk for poultry, why would they give it to me... I'm confused?

Please reply or PM me ... not sure on this one.

DE does work, but not as well as the Ivomec. It's not licenced for use on poultry in the UK, so I have to say that on the forum, and any vet will say that too, but they all recommend it as the best remedy. You can still dust them with powder if you like. The Ivomec works by getting into the bloodstream and then killing the mites as the bite the animal.

Ivomec is safe and is used on humans in some countries.

I had my cat treated by the vet once and she gave me medicine not licensed for cats in the uk -said it was the most effective one and the next time we went (couple of years later) it was licensed.

Things change, you used to only be able to buy Frontline from the vets but now you can buy it in pet shops.