Just had 3 (Three) part of the "Retro Fit Kits" delivered today (21 May 08 ) via Royal Mail in 3 (Three) seperate envelopes from Omlet, though only the "Spout Instruction Manual" part and not the whole kit which I had received and fitted over a fortnight ago. ? :?

Also had a Sales Invoice from Omlet in a fourth envelope. :roll:

sounds as if gremlins got into their system!

I just had the kit yesterday, but since mine has never leaked I am not going to fiddle with it. I will just put it in a Safe Place, which means I'll never find it again.

Yes, can someone pleae explain the cube leak issue. There are several threads that mention it and almost everyone seems to know what it means -- but for the benefit of those of us who just placed our cube orders (and who are now panicked about whether or not the thing is solid :shock: ) -- please fill us in!

Do all cubes leak? Has the problem been fixed in newer models? How do leaks affect the chickens?

and what are retro fit kits? :shock:

Yes, can someone pleae explain the cube leak issue. There are several threads that mention it and almost everyone seems to know what it means -- but for the benefit of those of us who just placed our cube orders (and who are now panicked about whether or not the thing is solid :shock: ) -- please fill us in!

Do all cubes leak? Has the problem been fixed in newer models? How do leaks affect the chickens?

Stephanie, some of the buyers of the first cube found that it leaked under certain circumstances - this has been rectified with this retro fit kit. You will need to contact Omlet directly to find out whether later editions of the cube come with the fault already sorted. Email james@omlet.co.uk

I have just had a Mark 2 Cube delivered today, and the Mark 2 leak preventers were fitted while it was being assembled.

I have had Mark 1 Cube leak preventers posted to me for my Mark 1 Cube, but I have been told that if I don't have a leak (which I don't) I should not use them: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was too shy to get the hose out and test the Mark 2 Cube before the man left, because he was so very nice and put up with my "Right a bit: stop; left a bit: stop" to get the Cube exactly where I wanted it.

Stephanie, some of the buyers of the first cube found that it leaked under certain circumstances - this has been rectified with this retro fit kit. You will need to contact Omlet directly to find out whether later editions of the cube come with the fault already sorted. Email james@omlet.co.uk

I took Clare's advice and emailed James and just got a lovely reply back

"Thanks for your email.

You do not need to worry about leaking cubes. The design has been

modified 3 months ago and your cube will not leak. When the originally

Cube was launched there was a small problem with a leak above the nest

box. A small amount of water went into the nest box. This only happened

when it rained lots of lots - which was unfortunately the case last

year. Since then, we have fixed the problem and we have also provided

all our Cube customers with retro fit's which stop the original Cubes

leaking.

I am very confident that you will be delighted with your Cube and if you

do have any problems we will fix them for you,

Bye for now,

James"

I have just had a Mark 2 Cube delivered today, and the Mark 2 leak preventers were fitted while it was being assembled.

I have had Mark 1 Cube leak preventers posted to me for my Mark 1 Cube, but I have been told that if I don't have a leak (which I don't) I should not use them: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was too shy to get the hose out and test the Mark 2 Cube before the man left, because he was so very nice and put up with my "Right a bit: stop; left a bit: stop" to get the Cube exactly where I wanted it.

What is the difference between Mark 1 & Mark 2 Cubes ?

I took Clare's advice and emailed James and just got a lovely reply back

"Thanks for your email.

You do not need to worry about leaking cubes. The design has been

modified 3 months ago and your cube will not leak. When the originally

Cube was launched there was a small problem with a leak above the nest

box. A small amount of water went into the nest box. This only happened

when it rained lots of lots - which was unfortunately the case last

year. Since then, we have fixed the problem and we have also provided

all our Cube customers with retro fit's which stop the original Cubes

leaking.

I am very confident that you will be delighted with your Cube and if you

do have any problems we will fix them for you,

Bye for now,

James"

I hate to sound Negative but my Cube is less than 2 months old and leaks.

(Delivered 27 March 2008)

What does your cube look like if you take the back off? On a Mark2 cube it should have a little black rubbery spout at the top back corner of each coloured side panel and in the grey back section in the side runnels you should see that there are triangle shapes in the moulding which help funnel the water down.

I saw the modifications at the Grand Designs shows and thought they looked really good, although my cube has never leaked so I haven't seen it happen firsthand. There was quite a big difference between my cube, (which I'm told was the first sent out to be built by the customer :) ), and the one that they're selling now.

The two Cubes look identical except for the leak modification, but my new hens are looking so relaxed in their new set-up I don't want to upset them at the moment by opening the roof and fussing them. (They are still slightly neurotic, but much better than they were -- are pure-breeds more highly strung than hybrids?)

One of them (I think the Buff Orpington) has even laid an egg in the right place (which none of the three opf the four new ones that lay ever managed in the Eglu).

If anyone is ever coming into Oxford PM me and you can drop in and see the Cubes. I have been boring and chosen a second purple Cube, but I think it was the right decision: it looks very elegant having a matching pair.

Some of my pure breeds are certainly quite highly strung Gallina. Most hybrids are bred to be docile (except for some white ones, which are skittish as hell) and can be easily handled. The rest of mine are pretty laid back though.

I haven't been into Oxford for a while, but will be sure to PM you when I do.