Karen & co.

Twisted toe

Mary one of my new girls has a twisted toe :( It doesn't seem to affect her walking or scratching about and I have to confess in my excitement at collecting them yesterday I didn't even notice untill I put them in the eglu run :oops:

I wondered if it can be or needs to be splinted to help her balance?

Karen x

Cassie's got very bent toes on one foot, Karen and she's fine. She runs like the others for treats. Her middle toe has a 90 degree sideways bend to it and the two outer toes turn right out but she's fine. I think that if your hen isn't showing any signs of discomfort or problems walking, she's had the deformity all her life and has learned to cope with it :D .

Thank you all for replying :D

The toes (I've noticed both feet now :oops:) bend inwards 90 degrees and she is fine walking and scratching, a little wobbly going into the eglu but she was kept in a barn, so it's new to all of them.

I haven't let her out yet but if everyone elses curly toed girls are fine then I'm sure she will be too :D She is the slightly more moth eaten of the 2 legbars and now is wearing a lovely purple splash on her back :lol: I thought prevention would be better than cure :D

Karen x

Patty has very bent toes too; when we went to get the breeder said "Oh, you won't want that one, she's got bent toes" which of course clinched it for us and home she came! :roll:

The one plus is that she can't scratch the soil up as much as normal, and she does stumble sometimes when she's legging it across the garden for a treat, but she doesn't bother at all and seems a happy hen!

Hi

One of my girls has got a bent toe and a twisted beak. Some might say shes not the prettiest but I think she is unique and rather attractive in her own way.

She is also rather tall and dwarfs the others.

She can also be rather stand offish but that just adds to her charm!

It doesnt bother her in any way as she possibly doent know any different.

When I first got her I thought it might be broken but after reading on the forum it sounds as if quite a few of them have this.