bookippsandcrew

sad tail...!

One of our rabbits lost his tail to a fox last night :x and i found it on the ground next to the eglu run this am!!! It appears that he was sleeping lying againt the edge of the run as he loves to do, but, his tail was sticking out through the wire and well you can imagine the rest!

We took him straight to the vet who checked him over and he seems remarkably unscathed by the whole afair, but alas is now without his beautiful fluffy tail. :(

This fox is a real problem, he comes every night several times without fail and terrorises them, any ideas how we might deter him (have tried all usual scare tactics when he's seen in the garden, but he's always back!!!)

Poor bun :shock:

Glad he's otherwise healthy.

Some people here use a fow watch, not sure what it is but I think it's ultrasound. Might be worth considering?

We use the omlet fencing around the girls run and electrify that, but of course it depends on space.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Karen x

we have a 7 year old rabbit who lives in our leanto in her hutch its heated in there as she shares with the cats.There is a cat flap that she shares with them she has had free run all her life but never at night.if we had seen the eglu for the rabbit may have wanted one for her but not really worth it now.We have an eglu for a chickens and l think its great.We have a lab and l think having him helps in the garden the scent of a dog he wont even let another cat get in our garden let alone a fox.When they see him out side at night for his walks they run.That poor rabbit

We installed a fox watch a couple of weeks ago, but the fox still visited us on Tuesday night! They are supposed to take several weeks to take effect, as the foxes have to learn to associate the sound with their actions, apparently. I'm still undecided on this one...

I normally put my rabbit in the eglu at around 8 every night to avoid a visit from Fantastic Mr Fox as he would normally do his rounds later. I realise that she would rather be out in the run at night, but I'm sure she would rather keep her beautiful tail more!

Hi there

Perhaps you can protect your rabbit using a shower curtain 'veil' over the run - the fox will see the rabbit but cant poke through it - use a plastic or pvc coated one so your rabbit can run around and sleep safely against the runs edge but wont have the fox eating any bit again :wink:

Labradors - it's been mentioned earlier but they're definately the answer! HA! NOTHING come into our garden - not even the postman if he can help it!!

Failing that, I have also heard that men weeing about the place helps

:roll:

anyway, what am I doing in here?! Back to chooks.... :D

Hi there, I have some little chicks in my Rablu at the moment, with the IKEA shower curtain over the top to keep the elements out. They kept sticking their silly little heads out of the run mesh and I was worried that the cat would take them off, so I have propped some planks of wood against the bottom of the sides of the run - it works a dream - not pretty, but effective.

Rabluwithboards.jpg

I hope that this helps.