jomaxsmith

Why are Eglus viewed as expensive?

I prefer to think of it as going over to the bright side :lol::lol::lol:

That's just given me a great idea!

Why don't Omlet make a glow in the dark Eglu? :wink:

How 8) would that be to look out at night and see your Eglu shining away in your back garden! :lol:

The poor little hens would need to wear dark glasses in order to get to sleep!

Maybe it could only be glow in the dark on the outside?! :lol:

Mind you the glow in the dark plastic isn't that nice to look at in the day time, we've a dog ball that glows in the dark and it's a wishy washy yellow by day!

:clap::clap:

If we are made to feel awkward about extoling the virtues of the Eglu on this of all fora, then the world has gone mad.

oh good grief, extole away, that wasn't my point and you know it wasn't.

saying eglus are prettier than wooden houses, do you think that might make wooden coop owners feel awkward? Extole all you like, just don't knock wooden coops, I happen to love mine :lol: I don't go round saying mine's prettier than yours and if I did, I bet you'd have something to say about it :lol:

….despite this being a forum primarily used by Eglu owners

:? But this is a forum for Eglu owners :?:?:? ....:

tut, tut! Everyone is welcome here, surely? :shameonu::lol:

I love the appearance of the self contained Eglu and the fact that it's so easy to clean and maintain, when compared to my old shed... :wink:

I think it's quite cute too, but not as cute as my wooden coop of course! :wink:

:clap::clap:

If we are made to feel awkward about extoling the virtues of the Eglu on this of all fora, then the world has gone mad.

oh good grief, extole away, that wasn't my point and you know it wasn't.

saying eglus are prettier than wooden houses, do you think that might make wooden coop owners feel awkward? Extole all you like, just don't knock wooden coops, I happen to love mine :lol: I don't go round saying mine's prettier than yours and if I did, I bet you'd have something to say about it :lol:

:? But this is a forum for Eglu owners :?:?:? ....:

:( Now I'm confused Poet - did you just add to this post again? it's put the thread all out of context again. :?

Living in these green times does anyone know if the plastics used for the Eglu are recyclable at their end of life? :?

Where do you think crocs come from?

:wink::wink:

LOL @ Christian :lol::lol:

re the eglu -

for cleanliness alone the eglu is SO worth the money. We started off with a wooden coup but it was hard to move and it couldnt be completely dismantled. Some of the wooden coups you can get are gorgeous (particularly love the ones with the heart shaped windows where you could put up gingham curtains! :lol: ).

But, I could never dismantle, power wash/pressure wash, scrub and towel completely dry a wooden house like you can an eglu. :D

Which is why,Poet,I said primarily used by Eglu owners,not FOR Eglu owners :roll:

And as it is owned & run by Omlet,the Eglu manufacturer,I don't think we can argue about that :lol:

Hmm well an eglu at the time was more expensive than i could afford , sorry i couldn't do without 50% of my income 1 week, think the 3 teens would starve lol

Anyway we wanted a large run and even with an eglu would have needed one, though the eglu does look small in pics!(what is that) run looks tiny!

I like my coop at the moment but would possibly consider a green cube if i got any problems with red mite or wanted more chooks. Can't say i would like any other colour, i like things to blend bad enough with kids toys in garden! :roll:

...Which is why,Poet,I said primarily used by Eglu owners,not FOR Eglu owners :roll:.....

I know, Cinnamon, exactly what you said (and why) :roll: (just rolling those eyes right back at ya!) :P

I like my coop at the moment but would possibly consider a green cube if i got any problems with red mite or wanted more chooks. Can't say i would like any other colour, i like things to blend bad enough with kids toys in garden! :roll:

That's how my DH persuaded me to have a colour *other* than green! I had wanted green to 'blend in' but he said 'look at all the other bright stuff in the garden (pink sandpit, purple trampoline, red playhouse etc.) - do you really think we need our eglu to blend in when nothing else does?' :lol:

Now we've chosen the colour by family vote (purple eglu) it's really grown on me and I'm very, very pleased he persuaded me not to go for green :lol:

Can't wait to see it in the flesh now !

We had planned to save up for an eglu and accept it would take us quite some months, but we were prepared to do it because we felt we were paying not just for somewhere for our chickens to live, but for the ease of learning chicken keeping from scratch. It just seems so much easier to get something that you know is safe, that you know is easy and cheap to maintain, and that you know can be easily sold on for a good proportion of the original price in the future. On top of that, we're also paying for a few extras and the peace of mind that comes from having so much support.

There's enough to learn despite how much you're handed on a plate by omlet, I'd be terrified of starting out on chicken keeping without all the extras you pay for with the eglu. All in all, I'm happy to pay the extra and feel confident in what we're doing.

Having said all that, we're not even the ones paying for it now as DH's parents offered to buy it all for us in the end :lol: Still, all that means is we're getting it a few months sooner as we had our saving plan all set up before they offered.

Which is why,Poet,I said primarily used by Eglu owners,not FOR Eglu owners :roll:

And as it is owned & run by Omlet,the Eglu manufacturer,I don't think we can argue about that :lol:

I honestly thought, up to today, that everyone on here owned, or was waiting for delivery of, an Eglu or a Cube :? I received a password to the forum when I took delivery of my Eglu, and have always assumed that everyone on here was a fan of Omlet products. What other reason would there be for seeking out and joining the forum :?

What other reason would there be for seeking out and joining the forum

I think that on this forum, unlike most other poultry fora, we all have hens for 'eggs and pets' and not as a commercial venture. That is the USP of this forum, rather than just the Eglu/Cube aspect.

I can't imagine that many other fora have discussions on favourite treat foods and cuddling chooks!

Jo

I like the look of many traditional timber coops because they blend effortlessly into all gardens no matter what style,size or how much plant life there happens to be.

But the Eglu is modern,exciting,zany,low maintenance and its initial visual impact in luscious orange is like being slapped around the face with a frozen cod... :lol:

Its price tag in my opinion is justified. :D

Based on the numbers we've been crunching in our house, the cube works out as actually cheaper than a comparable wooden house (comparable in amount of hens housed and size of run). This is based on purchasing one and not on a very handy person making a house and run from spare or inexpensive wood.

Well-built hen houses that can keep up to 10 hens often cost upwards of £400, some going over £1000. And that is without delivery or set-up, no chickens, no food, no feed and drinking equipment. And they do not have the fox-proof run -- fox-proof skirting can be purchased separately, or built DIY. Then when you add in the cost of maintaining a wooden house and keeping it pest free, the necessary costs are more each year. And the house will not last as long and will need replacing long before an eglu or cube will.

Both are recylable, but eglus and cubes are 100% recyclable; depending on how you treat the wood over the years (i.e., how much creasote or toxic products used to kill crawling things are used; how much paint or wood treatment used) the wood may not be compostable or biodegrade.

All that said -- wooden house are incredibly charming and flexible. They have an oldy-worldy, grounded to the earth, practical feel that Omlet housing does not have (they weren't designed to have that 'feel', so that's not a criticism). There is more scope with a wooden house to craft it in your own personality (colours, shapes, styles, designs, etc). And if you do wish to go commercial with your chicken keeping, are more practical.

Like keeping a horse, a dog or cat or rabbit or bird that will need medical care... any animal... it can get expensive, whether you go for wood or plastic.

I honestly thought, up to today, that everyone on here owned, or was waiting for delivery of, an Eglu or a Cube :? I received a password to the forum when I took delivery of my Eglu, and have always assumed that everyone on here was a fan of Omlet products. What other reason would there be for seeking out and joining the forum :?

Originally the forum was just for Eglu owners but it was such a nice happy, friendly place that James wanted to open it up to all chicken keepers, whether they have an Eglu or not so that more experience could be exchanged between chicken keepers in this little community so we no longer have the passworded entry to the forum and anyone is free to join.

I have been trying to get an eglu on ebay but they go for such a high price, in fact just been outbidded but have decided will pay extra pounds and get a lovely new green one. Was going to wait until 50 birthday next February but cannot wait so going to get one soon. Are the chickens from omlet nice ones or do most people get them local?, not sure which to do! I like the eglu because they are so nice to look at, look a lovely home for chickens and are different and quirky.