Chicken on a mission

Redirecting your plumbing

How likely would you be to have your plumbing altered to be able to use waste water in the garden?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How likely would you be to have your plumbing altered to be able to use waste water in the garden?

• I have done this already
    • I'm very interested
    • This has started me thinking about it
    • I can't see this happening in the next 5 years

All the talk of water shortages and water butts made me think back to when my mum my mum lived in Cheshire.

The house was plumbed so that water from the washing maching could be directed straight into the garden or a tank.

I wondered whether anyone else has done this? It has to be worth considering doesn't it?

What does everyone else think?

I empty my bath water out through a hose and the window to the garden below, however I only have a bath as a very rare treat (and no, I'm not filthy before anyone starts that rumour, I shower instead)! :wink:

Our washing machine and dishwasher waste goes straight through the wall to the outside, so it would be a really quick "fix" to put a tub there to catch it all.....

I have given quite a lot of thought to the colelction of 'grey water' and would like a tank under the garden to collect it. I understand that you can have a pump installed to enable you to use it in the garden, although I'm not sure how to filter the water of washing products. Unfortunately I live in a terraced house, so it wouldn't be easy to get a digger round the back to dig a hole for the tank :roll:

Coming back to this post after doing some research, here's a good site http://www.cat.org.uk/catpubs/article.tmpl?sku=art9 there are also some other articles linked at the bottom of the page.

We are very interested - in fact OH was talking to plumber neighbour only the other day about options for a grey-water plumbing job. We are also looking into Solar or PV options for heating water/generating power and also at getting a small domestic wind turbine :D

Good for you Red 8)

I was talking to hubby about this last night and his attitude was that Portsmouth Water will never put out a hosepipe ban.

It sailed over his head that this wasn't the point :roll:

I have to admit that given that the green section of this forum is so popular I'm really surprised no to get more posts on here about grey water usage :?

I think the trouble is that to do it properly, it costs so much money!

We have had a grey water treatment centre installed, so all our waste is treated in a giant tank, under the ground, in our garden and we use the water for ponds, watering, etc. It is supposedly fit to drink, but somehow I can't quite bring myself to do it!

We did this as previously we were on a very dodgy septic tank that wouldn't have passed the new building regs.

It cost over £8000! Not sure how you could ever say that this was a financially viable option really!

Before we had this, I did used to divert washing machine water into buckets though, but you had to be there when it emptied of course!

Gina, I'm with you on this.

I personally think collection and use of grey water is a great idea and far more effective than water butts but most of us are not in a position to be able to afford to have the derriction done, not to mention have the space or stomache for the disruption of a collection tank.

I do think this is the way forwad though and feel that grants sgould be available for those that would like to make the changes.

One of the issues that came up when my local council introduced the recycling bins was the additional water usage required to wash the 'rubbish'.

Of course, council performance isn't measured on water consumption is it?

Recycling is a must im my view but it just goes to show there is a trade off in everything. :?

would love to do this but cost is a factor. do any of you have ideas of cost or links to web pages. We have just moved into a water metred house and although it shouldn't have, it is making us think a lot more about the water we use :oops:

Be really interested to see how you get on.

PS we use ecover products as well. Does this make the grey water kinder to recycle because of the lack of chemicals? :oops:

Sorry for the silly questions - I'm a bit of a recycle novice but very keen!!

Mel

COSTS??

RE the water butt

Simon baught a black plastic bin (with lid) it cost £6 from B&Q. he then baught a tap kit, and a hose diverter (to divert the drain water into the bin) that came to about £10 in total

thats it.

stage to is running a pipe from the water butt, through the bathroom wall, which is just effort more then cost (shouldnt cost more then about £10)

were doing it in stages, as were skint students.

I understand that the complete works i.e tank underground, redirection of gutters/shower/bath/washing machine water, biological filter and pump can cost around £6k.

I think that the article I linked to earlier in this thread (or was it somewhere else?) said that you can save money on your water bill twofold, because they charge you for your water used, and then the sewerage is calculated based on the amount of water used. so the less water you draw fromt he mains, the less you will be charged for that, and also for sewerage :D

I'd love to be able to do it, but I don't have the money, and you'd never get a digger round the back of my house to dig the hole :roll:

That's right Clare: We have a biodisk system for all our water waste. It cost around £8k (including installation), so not terribly cost effective, but we only pay for mains water, not sewerage treatment, and we are not on a meter (due to being in the middle of nowhere, so our water comes from a house 1/2 a mile away), so our water rates are a measley £60 per annum. However, I don't think we'll ever be in a postition to say we saved money from having our system. Still, its nice to be doing something green.

Of co"Ooops, word censored!" you don't have to go for the full blown tank and pumping system. You could just get a diverter on your pipework so that when your washing machine gets to the rinse cycle you manually switch to vent it onto your veggies or whatever.

This way you can make use of the water when you need it and no big storage tanks :D

Bit of a prblem though if your garden runs uphill :roll:

simons in the process of re-directing the water butt water into our down stairs toilet cystern.

Kaz - can you explain further how you've done this? Is a pump required to get the water from the water butt into the toilet :?: Or is it above the level of the toilet... :?:

Well - I answered originally that I was very interested - and now we've done it!

Into our water butt now goes all rain water plus grey water from our bathroom. However - the rain water doesn't get much of a look in :roll: There are only two if us - yet after 24 hours - it was full :shock:

But at least my garden is getting a better watering. The kit (B&Q) diverting the water from the drain pipe is designed so once the water butt is full, the water can just go down the drain pipe as before. So this has made me very determined to use as much of the water as possible on my garden so as little as possible goes down the drain - if you see what I mean :?:

Has anyone else got round to doing this who said they were interested?

I think the next project will be to link another water butt - has anyone done this with success ?