bronze Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Nias been grumpy the last few days. Thought nothing of it then today she comes out in a rash. They look like large infected bites though not pussing yet. I wasn't sure if they weren't just bites but got the leaders at playgroup to have a look for a second opinion and they said they would take her to the Drs. Anyway can get an appointment at 5.00; end of surgery. Which is fine except I don't drive and I can't get hold of the community cars people because their office shuts at 12 . At 5 I have all three children and DH is away for the week. So now I'm feeling guilty as I just can't take her to the drs. Do they do home visits or is it just in extreme circumstances? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 I think they still do, but not as much as they once used to, but I think for a child they probably would. Why not ring them and explain the circs? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mutrix Farmers Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 MY GP still does home visits but you have to ring before 10 to request one for that day so they can schedule it in. As Olly says ring them and explain, you've nothing to lose. Hope she feels better soon! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Poor you Bron, what a nightmare! Definitely give them a ring. Hope the poor little mite is better soon Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 I'd ring and see what they say, but seems unlikely because it's not really an emergency. Could you get bus/taxi instead? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surferdog Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Sounds like it might be chicken pox -right time of year for it too. Hope she feels better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 (edited) Thought nothing of it then today she comes out in a rash. They look like large infected bites though not pussing yet. I wasn't sure if they weren't just bites but got the leaders at playgroup to have a look for a second opinion and they said they would take her to the Drs. The playgroup leaders would probably have to advise that anyway, because they would not want the responsibility or liability if they miss diagnosed the problem. Have you tried putting a glass over the rash? If the rash does not disappear when the glass is pressed hard over the skin, then it is definitely something to worry about and you should get emergency help ASAP. Most other rashes are caused by an allergy or irritation and just go away on their own after a while, but to be sure and for piece of mind, it might still be best to visit your doctor anyway. Also have you tried doing a capillary refil test? It's quick and easy to do, just squeeze your childs fingernail firmly for 4 seconds, it should go pale/white and then let go and within 8 seconds it should return to the normal pinky/red colour. If it takes longer for the colour to return, then there may also be a problem with circulation... Edited June 13, 2008 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted June 13, 2008 Author Share Posted June 13, 2008 Shes had the pox before so unlikey though not impossible. Sadly the only car I could afford would be the community car a taxi would cost around £30. buses just don't run that direction. I hate our surgery the receptionists are always grumpy and nosey. If one more person says to me in my life...well if you drive... in an accusing tone then I'll ...ahhh Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Have you phoned the surgery yet? My doctor came out to see me a few years ago when I was in bewd with tonsilitus. The circumstances you are in at the moment warrant a home visit, I am sure. (((hugs))) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted June 13, 2008 Author Share Posted June 13, 2008 #well I rang to cancel and got a different lady who was lovely and asked what the problem was in a nice way and I said so she said she would get a doc to ring me if that was alright Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helly Welly Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Well, it's better than nothing but i'm not sure how he can diagnose over the phone. Bet he says "if your'e worried, take her to A&E". I hope it's nothing major and she feels better soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surferdog Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Our out of hours doctor does this but then they come out if they think it's something they need to look at. Had to get them out for Mum the other week. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 should you get a Dr near to you & solve the traveling problem? GPs are expected to see so many more people nowdays that it makes it very difficult to do visits for anything other than planned ones for sick housebound folks or real emergencies, if your little one isn't unwell & has a rash it could be viral or an allergy, the pollen count is horrid at the moment and lots of people are getting hayfever wheeze & rashes, I hope he is OK Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 How is she now Bron? How did you get on with the doctors? Offsprings advice is good - obviously need to rule out a meningitis type rash, but most others are managable. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 I know that when we were ill as kids, out of surgery hours,the cuedoc used to come out and ive just googled it but is seems to be a Cumbria thing...is there not something like that near you? i think our ran from the local A&E but had a different number? as it wasn't for those who were so bad they required an ambulance???? Anyways hows she feeling now? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 They should come out. You have a sick child and are unable to get to the surgery. its the weekend now so they will have an on call service which they pay for. Most surgeries use these now instead of coming out themselves. I had this earlier in the year with Mum. She was really ill and coughing so badly she couldn't walk. She was going to get a taxi to the surgery as she was too ill to drive herself there and I couldn't miss work (it can be hard when you teach). I said to her, no way do you get in a taxi if you are too ill to drive, can barely walk etc then you are too ill to go to the surgery. She phoned and the doctor came out and was marvellous, didn't make her feel at all like she should have gone into the surgery. I was very worried at the time that Mum would end up hospitalised she was that ill, in fact 2 days later she wasn't improving and had the doctor out again. At the end of the day it is their job and they knew when they went into it that sometimes call outs were nessacary. It's only because some people will call a doctor/ambulance because they have broken a fingernail that we end up feeling guilty. When we shouldn't - as I said to Mum at the time, when was the last time you called out a doctor - she remembered it was when I was a toddler and had a fever - some thirty something years ago! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 Sorry to hear Nia's poorly . Have you had any luck with the doctor? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BERTIE MCSQUIRTY Posted June 13, 2008 Share Posted June 13, 2008 chicken pox has a puss like top on the rash - you can get it twice and usually starts in the abdomen area. a viral rash is red and sometimes displays a "top" on it. this is usually just after a bout of illness. a meningitis rash is usually displayed at the peak of illness - a child will be very hot and a bit dilerious, this rash does not disappear when pressed with a glass. heat rashes are also common at this time of the year - and can be relieved through a antihistamine such as piriton Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bronze Posted June 13, 2008 Author Share Posted June 13, 2008 I don't think its any of those. I think its allergy hives though what to I have no idea. Dr didn't seem too worried (over phone) but she did say call out of hours if it got wors over the weekend. thanks guys Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted June 14, 2008 Share Posted June 14, 2008 Doctors do do home visits where necessary, but obviously some will be more willing or conscientious about it than others, and it really does all depend on circumstances. Remember if your Doctor is coming out to you he/she is not available in surgery, and they normal have 7-10 minute appointments.......how many appointments could they fit in that time? My Drs always fitted in a house call or 2 before morning surgery (on their way to work), at the end of morning surgery and at the end of evening surgery (on their way home), if they had more than 3 or 4 house calls, or if the call was to a far flung patient it would seriously eat into surgery time. If it really is very difficult to you to get to surgey is there a GP more local to you? If the rash is an urticaria/ allergic type thing did the GP not make any suggestions of treatment over the phone? I'd suggest keep cool, if it's itchy use calamine lotion, possibly try some anti-histamine that you buy from your pharmacy over the counter (but please take advice from your GP or pharmacist on that one, I obviously don't know Nia's age or medical history so wouldn't offer firm recommendations without knowing a bit more), and try, if at all possible to identify the trigger. That one can be well nigh impossible, but any change in diet, washing powder, soaps or bubble bath for example. My son always comes out in a dreadful urticaria type rash whenever he eats certain brands of barbeque sauce. But he loves ribs, so whenever he goes off to eat at any of these American diner style places I know to get the piriton on stand by I do keep telling him not to eat them, but. Teenage boys Of course the other person to ask for advice is your pharmacist. Many of them are excellent and can give very good advice. NHS Direct is a good resource too......however I tend to find that all too often they end up saying "go and see your GP" at the end of a lengthy discussion, and then you end up wondering why you bothered with a long phone call. But maybe that's just my experience Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 14, 2008 Share Posted June 14, 2008 How are things this morning? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...