Steve.

eglu on Order - change to Cube? (CUBE ARRIVED WITH PICS!!!)

Just got 3x 25kg of Layers Pellets for £22.47 (£7.49 each), 1x 25kg Mixed Corn @ £6.69. All had long best-before dates. All from Jollyes just around the corner :lol:

Since Sunday morning, they'd sold about 6 bags - so there is a demand.

We already did that!!!!!! think its a must.... get that finger clicking!!!

Are your girls gonna free range much or be in the run??

We are stuck between 6-7 in the run + extention...

Well done to you, bet your house is buzzing..... hope you all sleep.. we want an update in the morning, what time you got up, what time THEY got up, what they had for breakie.....

you get my drift!

We already did that!!!!!! think its a must.... get that finger clicking!!!

Are your girls gonna free range much or be in the run??

We are stuck between 6-7 in the run + extention...

Well done to you, bet your house is buzzing..... hope you all sleep.. we want an update in the morning, what time you got up, what time THEY got up, what they had for breakie.....

you get my drift!

Going to wait until they are laying before free-ranging. I work from home so can't spend my time chasing after them.

I am not so sure whether the 'stupid' chicken we have is actually the cleverest one in there. The dominant one has decided to roost on one of the wheels. What a wally.

Ahh Steve the girls look lovely if a little bemused..bless!! :lol:

The red looks great .. really vibrant!

Really recommend getting extension.. I have four in mine with extension and they need every bit of space..

They were cuddling up just after Mr Omlet left. This soon stopped and the pecking order commenced :lol:

No names yet.

If the dominant one continues in it's stupidity it'd going to be first into the pot.

Refusal to go up the ladder .... had to go into the run, in the dark, scrabble around their 'presents', and stuff the dominant one in the door then close it.

The I had to evict the other 2 from roosting on the nesting box opening, then the other two from roosting in the nesting box. I might fashion a piece or wood or something to block it off.

Not sure what the neighbours thought.

Did I get extra stupid chickens? :lol:

I will wear Gauntlets next time I have to handle them! Though I think I have the hang of it now.

Edited by Guest

goodness, a baptism of fire!!!

We should have had pics of that!

Yeah and they give you this really innocent, 'Wasn't me look' when clearly it was you, and you are still doing it whilst I'm looking at you.

Considering one of those retractable leads for dogs, hooked up to the roosting bars :roll:

Oh, and to the question what time will we be up tomorrow, our youngest is on the boob, so about every three hours :lol: (well not me, I don't have the required equipment. And if I did, keeping chickens would be way down my priority list).

lol.................

What a time to take on chooks then... bet mrs steve is well impressed, or were they a trade off for the tot in the picture????

Obviously you are superdad/husband working from home... I think you said in a much earlier post that you can almost multi task!

Me thinks you are not going to sit down much for many days......

lol.................

What a time to take on chooks then... bet mrs steve is well impressed, or were they a trade off for the tot in the picture????

Obviously you are superdad/husband working from home... I think you said in a much earlier post that you can almost multi task!

Me thinks you are not going to sit down much for many days......

We have Ashley who is 23 months, and Dominic who is 5 months. Further additions are planned but Ashley needs to get potty trained first!

Try-Quite-Hard-Dad, with selective hearing probably fits the bill :lol:

congratulations, they look a bit bewildered but they'll soon be in control :wink:

While you're ordering that extension (you're surely going to) pop an extra arch on the order, so you can adapt the run and open the front up! (see sticky at head of this forum). You will be glad you did.

Congratulations Steve.

The red looks lovely. I've just ordered another Eglu, and seeing your pictures makes me glad I opted for red.

The hens will get the hang of roosting in a few days, and inevitably you will have some who prefer to sleep in the nesting box.

One of my sons is called Dominic. :D Great name.

Are they awake??? Maybe it's too early for them.... Man I hope I get chooks like that!

Maybe they are waiting for you to explain how the down ladder works after you carefully demonstrated the 'up' ladder!!!

Are you all waiting patiently watching from the end of the run???

Are they awake??? Maybe it's too early for them.... Man I hope I get chooks like that!

Maybe they are waiting for you to explain how the down ladder works after you carefully demonstrated the 'up' ladder!!!

Are you all waiting patiently watching from the end of the run???

They are awake. And hardly moved from where they were last night

Then there was the incident yesterday when the Fawny chicken (not sure if this one is an idiot or a genius) got stuck between the wheel and the run. The only way to un-stick it was to dismantle a panel of the run :roll:

Watching from the house .... have breakfast to eat.

May entice them out with dropping some corn past the cube door.

Opened the door at 7.20am.

Chickens are still in the cube.

Maybe I should read them the instructions (with pictures) on what chickens are supposed to do? :roll:

Ours stayed inside absolutely loads on the first few days - all acclimatising I guess. They just ventured out for food etc. They'll get braver as they get used to their new home.

Yes my eldest is enjoying the chickens :)

I've kicked them out of the chicken coop with a little gentle persuasion... and closed the door. I'll open the door a little today so they can get used to going to bed on time.

They are happy enough poking around for the corn I tried to lure them out with (though one of them it trying to go to bed again).

Am I doing it all wrong? :oops:

Edited by Guest

Am I doing it all wrong? :oops:

Don't ask me :roll::lol:

I was just saying what ours did - it seems normal from a lot of the posts on here. I don't know whether it's best they do stay inside if they feel they need to or not! They do need to stay in the run for a few days though, so they learn where their home is. I guess if you did leave the cube door open they might get a bit more practice going in and out over the day?

Just ordered a extension, some extra clips (these will also be handy for DIY), extra run frame, a shade and a grub.

Two of the gingernuts are in the cube.

I am working downstairs today and they are just outside my window.

As for Work --- there is plenty to do and if I don't get it done today I'll be doing it tonight or the weekend instead :)

Names will wait until we understand their personalities :) and suggestions gratefully received.