Steve.

eglu on Order - change to Cube? (CUBE ARRIVED WITH PICS!!!)

The only real issue is the poo-y mess that they make in the nest box over night. In warm weather though (what's that?) they can get rather warm in the nest box all night and it might encourage broodiness... not that my little bantie madams need any encouragement! :roll:

Good news Steve; sounds like you're really enjoying them. 8)

I don't like cleaning poo-y mess up first thing in the morning, but I don't like eggs covered with poo later either.

So I have always lifted any new hen who fancied the nesting box as a bed on to the bars when I shut the Eglu/Cube up at night. They soon learned to stay there -- often from Day 1.

Our run extension arrived today.

(Nightfreight drive their lorry like I drove my first car, a 2.0S Capri)

Charles Atlas then chucked the whole lot on his shoulder and carried it with one hand. Impressive for a run extension, extra arch, and some other bits.

Will post some pics once it's all sorted.

Charles Atlas then chucked the whole lot on his shoulder and carried it with one hand. Impressive for a run extension, extra arch, and some other bits.

Pics of Charles Atlas? :pray::angel:

Pics of Charles Atlas? :pray::angel:

:lol::lol::lol: I've got my fingers crossed too!

That's looks really nice. I must be brave and make a bigger entrance myself.

That picture is really interesting, as it shows the Eglu's footprint quite clearly and proves that a Cube with standard run plus one extension takes up the same amount of space as an Eglu without an extension.

Hi steve,

Did you fix it to the curve in the roof with clips or velcro straps???

Well done looks brill, are your chooks looking more comfy now???

Haven't got that far yet. Will take a look at what's on offer and see if there is anything else that'd do the job.

Chooks are a lot more comfortable - a cube without an extension is a bit snug.

Got some velcro - not really convinced that it is that secure and takes longer to take off than the Omlet plastic clips.

Might see if I can get some metal based clips --- haven't seen anything better than what's been discussed in the other threads.

A couple of online-chandlers sell some nice looking clips but not sure what size to get ....

A couple of updates, all the chucks are happy to be stroked (and make nice noises) apart from Wilma, the head chook, who is petrified of me.

It is wrong to put human emotions onto Chickens ... but if Wilma was a human she'd be a bully who picked on those smaller than herself ... and ran off from those that were bigger.

My FIL 'found' a large metal tray :roll:

A bit of compost later, and the girls were having lots of fun,

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6281/dsc3592ud1.jpg

:lol: Mine make me laugh - they have an ancient round enamelled bowl about 18" across, four of my bantams can get in there at the same time and they roll around, just loving it. They especially like wood ash from the stove.

I know that I shouldn't anthropomorphise them, but they have a look of sheer enjoyement on their tiny faces 8)

Hi Steve,

Sarah from up the road. Your girls look like they are coming on well!

Mine dust bathe in the garden. They especially enjoy a particular earth border where the cats poo - such chavs they are! :lol: Weird that they don't smell of poo?? :shock:

By the way, as you are up the road have you had an increased amount of flies on the lawn round the chooky poo lately? Seems like a fly invasion last few days.

:?