Steve.

eglu on Order - change to Cube? (CUBE ARRIVED WITH PICS!!!)

Hello Egg Lou, thank you for the kind offer :) How big is your garden?

I'm in Waterlooville.

Here are a couple of snaps of my garden (and blanked out the neighbours washing...!) .... the fences are 6 foot at the sides then 4 at the bottom.

Garden Piccie 1

Garden Piccie 2

Maybe I have nothing to worry about?

BTW I've tanked the Mrs up with Archers so we'll see what she says!

Your garden looks fine for a cube! My back garden is in two parts and the area my cube is in is about the same.. You will probably find someone closer to you to see cube as I may be a bit far.. but you are still welcome of course! :D

Thank you for the comments :)

Behind our house is a 70 meter or so forested area with a path, area then more houses. I've seen foxes around that area when out walking. it was the size of a cat with a big tail. Nicely illuminated with my 60k Candle power torch. Took me a few days to work out what it was though! Doh!

We'd not let the chucks Freerange unless we were around.

Next to the shed is a good idea, thank you.

I'm not sure about trellis ... can you add trellis to any fence without the need to get permission to extended the height?

To increase the height of the fence, why not line it with that willow or bamboo roll. My bottom 'fence' (actually concrete panels and not very pretty) was 4' so I ran some 5' (you can get 6') willow roll along it and attached with cable ties. It looks much nicer and the chooks have never attempted it. (the planters are fastened to the wall behind the willow panel!)

DSCF2538.jpg

I prefer the cube because of it's height, very easy to clean out, no bending. No rodents likely to nest underneath it as it's off the ground. My chickens love to perch on the branches in my walk in run - at least the cube run gives you the height to add some perches for them. Good luck deciding! :D

I thought I would be generous on time Claret :lol:

I think ours were in the run no more than 24hrs before hubby had these plans :lol: and started planning and preparing the next day.. :lol: Best thing we ever did, although the little blighters have been digging holes all over and I am going to fall down on soon, I am sure they are laughing at me.. :lol::roll:

Well the risk is that I have three weeks holiday just after the cube is scheduled to be delivered so anything could happen!

Am I into DIY ... yes ... although now we have two sprogs under two :D even hanging a picture takes about a day as either Number 1 Son runs off with my hammer or Number 2 Son Stops Play by needing a feed.

(I managed to get through this post without making a joke about getting my tools out :oops: )

Cheeky!

Walk in runs are great - a photo of mine when it was finished earlier this year is just below.

It looks better now with plants & veggies growing all aound it, which are of course safe from being munched by hungry beaks as the hens are in the pen all the time 8)

You should be OK with the cube run for a while - small children are very handy for sending in the run to do the cleaning and retrieving things 8) On the down side, they are also good at getting the run and playing in the chicken poo, emptying the feeders into the drinkers and generally playing at being chickens :( Have you got a good washing machine? :D