Emma&lewie Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 Hi all. I just wondered if any one could shed any light on this? I have just come back from a pub not far from me with a lovley garden, however they had a couple of aviary's in which was a very sad looking owl, and in another a mix of budgies, cockatoos and finches. The owl and and a large number of the birds were bald at the back of their heads and one poor thing was completely bald from wings upwards, their cages didnt look big enough for the amount of birds- the poor owl could hardly fly and they were dirty. Could the baldness be moulting or something more sinister? (unfortunately I didnt have my camera with me!!) Im really wondering weather to call RSPCA, as cant bear the thought of them suffering- also as a parent worried about diseases they may spread to the many young children that visit. I just dont want to sound like an interfering old busy body!!! advice greatly welcome! Emma X Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 it could be feather pecking from boredom (birds pecking themselves or other birds pecking them) You find that happens with chickens if there is very little room and little to stimulate the birds. Im like you, I get quite upset when I see things like this, although the RSPCA isnt my favourite organisation (hate them) so I personally would be in 2 minds about calling them. I dont know what to suggest really., Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 How about both the RSPCA & the RSPB? Im sure one of those charities will do something - even if they just call the pub or nip round it may get the owners thinking a bit more about how they keep them Failing that you could ask your local paper to go and have a look - im sure they would write a little bit about it in the local rag. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helen&Lee Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 I too was thinking about the RSPB. Hopefully they wouldn't be too happy hearing about an Owl being kept like that - let alone the other birds. Helen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lapinou Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 although the RSPCA isnt my favourite organisation (hate them) so I personally would be in 2 minds about calling them. Why do you hate them, Chelsea? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 although the RSPCA isnt my favourite organisation (hate them) so I personally would be in 2 minds about calling them. Why do you hate them, Chelsea? they put healthy dogs down for a start, also a lot of people have called them out for injured animals (pigeons, birds etc) and they couldnt give a monkeys. And just recently they gave that free range chicken farm (see recent thread on here - who treated his hens dreadfully) a clean bill of health and a certificate. They seem to care more about people donating to them and raising cash than what they are supposed to stand for IMO. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lapinou Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 I see. So are there any animal charities that are worthy of being supported do you think? There are heaps of human ones I steer well clear of! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 I see. So are there any animal charities that are worthy of being supported do you think? yes, lots of other animal charites i believe in and support Dogs Trust (I sponsor a dog - they never put down a healthy dog) CIWF WSPA BHWT PDSA BLUE CROSS (I have rescued a german shepherd from them) and lots more,....If i had bottomless pockets I would donate loads to animal charities. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Joojoo Posted June 29, 2008 Share Posted June 29, 2008 although the RSPCA isnt my favourite organisation (hate them) so I personally would be in 2 minds about calling them. Why do you hate them, Chelsea? they put healthy dogs down for a start, also a lot of people have called them out for injured animals (pigeons, birds etc) and they couldnt give a monkeys. And just recently they gave that free range chicken farm (see recent thread on here - who treated his hens dreadfully) a clean bill of health and a certificate. They seem to care more about people donating to them and raising cash than what they are supposed to stand for IMO. For what it's worth I won't give them the time of day either. They were phoned by a neighbour of mine to come out to an horrifically injured cat that had been run over. They assured her they would be at the scene within 30 minutes. After 45 minutes they phoned up and said it was too far for them to travel (6 miles ). By this point I had found out about it and already put the cat in one of my baskets and on it's way to my vets where it sadly had to be euthanased. It died an absolutely horrendous death and the RSPCA did nothing whatsoever to alleviate it's suffering. If you want to support an animal charity choose a local independent one or one like the cats protection league who do not euthanase any healthy cats and will give them a home for life if they can't be rehomed with a famlly. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted June 30, 2008 Share Posted June 30, 2008 Could you not talk to the landlord? I know it sounds silly but he might not think its a problem - some people just seem to think that animals look after and entertain themselves and a bit of education goes a long way. You know, just do it nicely, point out the missing feathers and ask if they've seen a vet or if he's seen any feather plucking, suggest it may be boredom etc and give him a little while to change - if nothing happens then report it. RSPCA - no im not thrilled with them either. Like you Chesea i don;t agree with their policy of putting dogs to sleep. A charity near me just took in the animals at an RSPCA shelter that closed although they now have many more animals than they can cope with and may have to shut down unless they can raise more money to look after them all I got my 2 cats from there and they have dogs/small animals too and they're so amazing - my cats are a credit to them and they have come on leaps and bounds. The people there are just so amazing and friendly! xXx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted June 30, 2008 Share Posted June 30, 2008 I wouldn't go to the local paper, especially if you don't know whether it is neglect or something else. Bad press may well destroy his business, and if it's not his fault, or of he's dealing with it, then that really isn't fair. The RSPCA are useless. The RSPB might be better, I have no experience of them. Worth a call, I would think, for advice if nothing else? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted June 30, 2008 Share Posted June 30, 2008 Sounds very odd to me. I'd speak to the landlord first and see if he can be encouraged to look after the birds better, then get in touch with the RSPB. I too steer clear of the RSPCA. Feather loss on the back of the head in hens is usually due to an over-amorous cockerel, not sure what it could be in this case though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted June 30, 2008 Share Posted June 30, 2008 although the RSPCA isnt my favourite organisation (hate them) so I personally would be in 2 minds about calling them. Why do you hate them, Chelsea? they put healthy dogs down for a start, also a lot of people have called them out for injured animals (pigeons, birds etc) and they couldnt give a monkeys. And just recently they gave that free range chicken farm (see recent thread on here - who treated his hens dreadfully) a clean bill of health and a certificate. They seem to care more about people donating to them and raising cash than what they are supposed to stand for IMO. I too was not impressed when we had a stray stallion wander into our garden. He started coming at night and my hubby blamed me for taking my mare (who was recovering from colic surgery) for walks around the garden!!! Anyway one day he turned up during the day, looking in terrible condition. I put him in one of our fields and called the RSPCA and they were not in the slightest bit interested. They seemed to think that because I had a field, I could just look after him!!! Seeing as I had a mare who was sick, the last thing I needed was another horse, let alone a stallion!!! Luckily a farming neighbour knew which gypsies he belonged to and took him back to them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted June 30, 2008 Share Posted June 30, 2008 Is there a local Owl Rescue that could advise him about caring for the Owl at least. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Emma&lewie Posted June 30, 2008 Author Share Posted June 30, 2008 Hi everyone, thankyou all for your advice. As I have only been to the pub a few times I havent spoked to the landloard yet I may pop up at the weekend and have a quiet word, really dont want to interfere, but hate any kind of crultey. may just be ill and getting treatment- here's hopping!! just hope his not the aggressive type!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted June 30, 2008 Share Posted June 30, 2008 Hi everyone, thankyou all for your advice.As I have only been to the pub a few times I havent spoked to the landloard yet I may pop up at the weekend and have a quiet word, really dont want to interfere, but hate any kind of crultey. may just be ill and getting treatment- here's hopping!! just hope his not the aggressive type!!! If it is the case that they are receiving treatment then they'd be better putting up a notice to that effect so that they aren't reported! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...