rogdickinson

No eggs - help!

My lovely hens arrived about 2 months ago. Within the first week we were amazed that they started laying one egg each every day - we had been advised that it would take much longer.

For the first 3 weeks of laying we had no problems - they were happy and laying about 6 eggs each per week, just as advertised. After that, for no apparent reason, the laying became sporadic and we have now had no eggs for a fortnight. They became very tame but now seem more timid and less sprightly.

I’m fond of Sibyl & Audrey, they're great fun, but they were bought to provide food. I’m getting concerned that we’ll soon be eating them rather than their eggs!!

I’ve just started a worming supplement and tonic – any other ideas?

Rog

I don't have my chooks yet but I have read about them alot on here lol.

Do you give them lots of treats? If so cut right back and make sure they eat all their layers pellets/mash. Do they have access to limestone flour incase they need a bit of help with the shells. Also give them/their home a good check over for lice and mites, both these things can put them off laying.

Hope that helps

Tough love isn't it. No treats till late afternoon, and they look at you so adoringly.

I found that one of mine stopped laying for what I thought was 8 days, but infact she had laid two softies which the others had eaten (found dried yolk on their feet so knew the culripts :lol: )

But I have increased their proper food and reduced the treats, and wormed also and now she is back laying lovely again. (we had two from her yesterday) so it's worth it.

I also stopped giving mine bread, because they were having quite a bit of that and one omleteer suggested that too much bread can stop laying too.

Sounds like they are on the mend.