Soanto

Two dead chickens

Hi everyone

We've had our chooks since March and everything has been fine. BUT we've had two die in the last week. It's happened suddenly and with absolutely no warning. There's been no sign at all of any illness or discomfort - one died overnight and one came out of the run as normal one morning and then was dead by lunchtime.

We've examined the others closely, cleaned and disinfected the cube and we're keeping them in the run for the moment, in case it's something in the field that's poisoning them (they're free range in a fenced paddock and have been happily for 3 months).

I know it's hard to diagnose with so little to go on but any ideas what it could be?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your hens.

Sudden deaths like this are often due to heart problems, but is is very odd that two have died in that way, so close together.

All you can do is observe them and seek veterinary advice if you see anything amiss with the others.

Has the nearby field been sprayed with anything recently?

I don't know what to say except sorry to hear about you losing two chickens in a week. :(

I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer good advice, I think it's a good idea to keep them in the run to elimate the possibility of it being something they are managing to eat while they are free ranging.

Have they been wormed recently?

I suppose if you lose another it would be worth having an autopsy to help you get to the bottom of it. *crosses fingers and hopes that doesn't need to happen :(

All the best, it's amazing how quickly we become attached to our chooks.

Helen

sorry from me aswell, what an awful shock for you. :D

it could be anything to be honest, heart attacks cause sudden deaths in hens but I agree its a little odd for 2 of your hens to pass away so suddenly. Might be coincidental :think:

You havent used slug pellets, rat poison or any weed killer recently have you?

Thanks everyone for your comments & advice.

No there really isn't anything that we've done differently recently...it's just so odd and we're totally paranoid about the others....!

Does anyone know if ragwort is a problem for chooks? We do have it and are pretty vigilant as we have a pony too (and I KNOW it's harmful to them).

Anyway the other girls are fine tonight and I'll let you know what happens. I'm planning to replace them with another two or three, any advice for how best to do it?

Thanks