SarahJo

Garden Wildlife.

Thought I would start a new topic to mark 1000 postings :P .

Today I watched our little wren go in and out of the nest in the ivy, and she is still at it now :shock: . Managed to get a lovely pic of the chicks beaks, only 2 show in the photo .. but there are 4 chicks, and also a pic of mummy with a beak full of food. I will post these in the garden section of the gallery, when it returns. But in the meantime, wonder what wildlife you have in your gardens .. other than the chooks. :wink: .

CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!!! Well done!!

Well, in the garden we have loads of frogs and water boatmen in the pond plus a newt every now and then - common unfortunately and not the great crested variety, a family of Robins (tame as anything too - they come into the chickens run when you're in there and peck around at the spilt food by your feet), a pair of Thrushes, blackbirds, greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits, an occasional coal tit, wrens, sparrows, starlings, two pairs of dunnocks, a Magpie, collared doves, wood pigeons, an occasional Sparrowhawk coming for tea, a couple of field mice and passing hedgehogs - oh and bats too!! I'm sure there's more, especially birds but I can't think off the top of my head!!

Well done Sarah now a chicken addict as well as a wildlife photographer can't wait to see the pics..................... :lol:

One of the fields behind our house is a wildlife reserve, so we see plenty of birds but the bunnys are our favourites and the hares they move really fast.......We have Herons nesting in the field at the moment and they are very noisy when they fly over the house we always look up and the chooks flatten themselves.................. :lol::lol: The ducks sometimes come into the next door garden and make nests and lay eggs we love watching them .....Especially when all the ducklings hatch and follow the mummy back to the pond.

we've got millions of baby frogs in our pond to - arn't they gorgous- so delicate. BUT naughty naughty florentine this morning, she'd spotted one near me when i was in the shed, and she went for it like a hawk :( she had it by it's leg in her beak and i had to chase her for it, hitting her on the back with some rubber gloves that i'd grabbed from the shed (which didn't actually do anything to stop her!) :oops: until i cornered her and grabbed her - she eventually dropped it and it wasn't moving, but i put the little froggy back in the grassy stuff by the pond, and i watched it to see if it was moving and it eventually did crawl about deep down into the grassy stuff, so i hope it's ok :shock: i didnt think that they'd bother with frogs, but i suppose it's instinct for them to try and eat them, but they aint having a go when i'm about!

Gosh where would I start for wildlife I have just about everything. Nuthatches, treecreepers, woodpeckers green and spotted, Jays, Kingfishers, plus all the usuals. I have some swifts nesting in the wood store this year beautiful colours!! I also have otters nearby lots of moles :evil: I even nearly ran over a baby fox last night I know they are pests but it was so cute and tiny :shock: I have several colonies of bats in and around the house as well.

If I think of anything else I'll be back

Nicola, talking of flat chickens and herons, there was a heron sat on the roof last night and Jenny was stood like a statue while the other two were hiding in the Eglu. When it flew off across the garden, Jenny started the hooting alarm call they do - sounds just like an old fashioned car horn!! There are lots of ponds in people's gardens round here and the heron comes fishing! Ours is too small for him to notice and there aren't any fish anyway.

Louise, we had a kingfisher at Christmas - not exactly in our garden but a sick one which was trapped in the netting on our neighbours pond. He brought it to me to look after and release when it was better. I didn't want to let it go but had to - beautiful, aren't they.

We have the odd bird visitor in the garden every now and then - we've had Bramblings, a lesser spotted woodpecker, a yellowhammer, goldcrest, lots of rooks and jackdaws too. For a tiny garden, we get quite a variety!

Yes they are gorgeous so bright in colour. I guess given my location its not surprising the amount of wildlife I get but some times they are sooooooooooooooooo noisy. If I sit on the patio on the phone I have had people say they think it sounds like a zoo :lol: I have herons but they haven't taken any of my fish yet I guess trout and salmon in the river tweed is far tempting than a couple of small goldfish :lol:

I never fail to be amazed at how smart the wildlife can be sometimes :shock: The robins follow me around whenever I am out gardening :shock: When the gallery is back up I will post a pic of one of them doing that :o

:D WOW ... loads of wildlife ..... we have a small water feature which attracts frogs, which I love to show the kids, Graham is not so enthralled and says "you'll get warts" .... and I remind him that its a frog, not a toad ( and in anycase I don't have warts, and he can be a toad at times :lol: ).

We have all ther usual birds ... the national population of sparrows :roll: , and sometimes 2 ducks come to visit. :shock: . A heron flies over occasionally, and the neighbours have a badger that visits ..... I think Louise might win with the diversity though, must be due to living near to the river. :wink:

8) Had 4 special visitors last night ... just after the Eglu was closed for the night, I was looking out of the kitchen window. And 4 little birds started formation flying around ... checking the Ivy, where the nest was, and playing around generally. :D . I would like to think this was little Wren and her babies having a lookround the old roost. 8):P:?