Mrs Frugal

Elderflower Champagne and Elderflower Cordial

I had my little copy of richard mabey's 'food for free' and the photo looked the same! :lol:

A book! Good idea!

Hope you remembered where the elders were, you will need to go back in a few months to get the berries for other goodies. Elderberries are rich in vitamin C and taste better than blackcurrents when made into cordial, they make great jam too 8)

I am sure they can be pickled in some sort of alcohol as well :wink::wink:

along the banks of The Mersey but I'm not tellin' where! :notalk::lol:

we saw a wild apple tree and lots of blackberry bushes too so will definitely go back :lol:

Just bottled up my first batch of elderflower champagne and have been remembering to stir the cordial! Just about to make the next batch of champagne. It smells so gorgeous and there are soooo many elder trees in my village that I just couldn't help it.

I used to feel guilty about picking "natures bounty" but some much fruit doesnt' get eaten each autumn before it goes off that I don't mind now :lol: I've made sure to only take a few flower heads from each tree though! mmmmmmmmmmmm

.... I've made sure to only take a few flower heads from each tree though! mmmmmmmmmmmm

ditto, makes sense as you want there to be berries when you go back later in the year.

Just a tip for foraging folks, it makes sense to take a long walking stick with a hooked end, the best stuff can sometimes be a little inaccessible. I've been nettled in the past reaching for fruit, and almost ended up face down in a stream too :shock::lol: , it is easier if you can hook a branch and pull it down to your level :wink:

just peeped at my brew and the flowers have gone brown, is that meant to happen? :?

Sorry I can't help with this, I've never used elder flowers before (on account of the smell). Petals are quite fragile though and quickly turn brown in water so maybe it will be OK :? (fingers crossed)

I now have elderflower heads collected from the bottom of the garden 8) The house next door to me is empty and has an elder in the garden, so I just leaned over and grabbed a few (well, with the aid of a ladder and a 6ft stick with nails in the end :lol: ). Best of all, they don't pong of cat wee :D

Elderflower champagne here we come 8)

I was wondering if those extra strong Schloer glass bottles would hold the fizz in? After all, Schloer is fizzy :?

The flowers do go brown, Poet, don't worry. You'll be straining them off when you bottle the cordial/champagne anyway.

Claire, the glass bottles will be fine for champagne - so long as you remember to release the lids daily or every other day, depending on how fizzy it gets, for the first couple of weeks. After that, I'd check them regularly just to be on the safe side - I've seen what an exploding plastic bottle can do so glass would be worse. If you're careful, it will be absolutely fine and the elderflower champagne is so delicious that you'll have finished it all off before long!! I always wish I'd made more every year :lol: .

I've been nettled in the past reaching for fruit, and almost ended up face down in a stream too :shock::lol: , it is easier if you can hook a branch and pull it down to your level :wink:

My son ended up face down with his head inches from a stream once :shock: - he was only 1 and strapped into the pushchair - he kept rocking back and forth (he did that a lot) and tipped himself down the bank :oops:

Funny....... he's never really liked blackberrying :think:

Poet - sorry, I has half joking about confusing plants - you'd never confuse Elder with Hemlock, Elder grows as a tree - Hemlock grows as a bushy plant..

You could confuse Hemlock with Cow Parsley though - not that you'd want to eat either :?:lol:

The Richard Mabey book has been my bible for over 30 years.

I spend ages identifying mushrooms - but then am too scared to eat them :roll: Shame as we have found some of my favourite mushrooms on our land - Wood Blewitts.

thanks Kate/Lesley

do you know if you can freeze elderflower heads? I want to pick a shed load and freeze them for later use, so was just wondering.

That's interesting Poet :D

Will you cut off all the stems before you freeze them? That way you don't have to faff about getting cold fingers when you want to use them. (probably take up less room too :D )

Kate, thanks, I will use the Schloer bottles and be very careful. I have half a dozen of them and was going to send them to recycling as they are really thick and heavy, due to the fizzy contents I think, and I didn't know what to do with them.

Lesley, you are quite right about the difference between elder and cow parsley etc, (what is the proper name for that stuff???) it is the umbelliferous (sp?) flower heads that I always think look so similar. Same with giant hogweed too, which I notice we have a bit of in Birmingham now (oh well, it goes with the Japanese knotweed which is rife :roll: )

Edited to add, my first ever half batch of elderflower champagne is underway :D

phew! I'm exhausted! We went elderflower picking again today (I think I've gone a bit mad with this and I haven't even tasted any yet!). I've just made up a dble quantity and bagged and frozen 4 bags of approx 30 flower heads each bag :roll:

the kitchen looks like it's been confettied and the sink is bright yellow, as were my hands until I washed them :lol:

I think that'll do for this year :doh:

bought 2 massive fermentation buckets today, ready for making the elderberry wine :D Using one now for the cordial.

this was the boot of our car earlier today :lol:

160608.1.jpg

We went elderflower picking again today (I think I've gone a bit mad with this and I haven't even tasted any yet!).

The cordial has a very delicate taste that I find is slightly overpowered by lemon in the shop bought cordial. Hence I am only trying the champagne :D

I have now bottled my champagne (this morning), and have three nearly full bottles. Anyone know how long before gasses start to develop?

bought 2 massive fermentation buckets today, ready for making the elderberry wine :D

My dad was a huge winemaker when I was young - every other weekend we were out in Derbyshire picking for some sort of wine. :roll::D

If I recall rightly though ElderBERRY is one of the hardest to do..I sure it develops a film over it if not careful. :?

Elderflower wine is quite easy though and very tasty. :D

There are probably kits around nowadays that make it a bit easier. :D

Helen

Elderberry is a lovely wine though. Mum used to make it every year. I plan to make some this year as I set myself up with buckets and demijohns last summer. I've got elderflower on the go at the moment along with a batch of mint wine in the fermentation bucket.

Claire, the gasses start to build up after a day or two so keep releasing the bottle lids. I am still doing mine twice a day as the plastic bottles soon start to bulge outwards if I don't. You can start drinking it after 2 weeks and it's gorgeous!

Elderflower wine is quite easy though and very tasty. :D

might give that a try then, thanks. Don't s'pose you have your family recipe? I'd rather use a tried and tested one than google for one :D

Kate, are you willing to share your mum's recipe for the wine? :D

I would but unfortunately she gave up wine making years ago and passed on her notebooks to a friend :( . She's really disappointed now I've taken up wine making because I'm having to source recipes online and from books rather than using her tried and tested ones.

I'm making the following recipe for elderflower wine this year because it's plain and simple and didn't need any fancy ingredients - suits me nicely :wink: .

Elderflower Wine

There were, Poet. She used to make wine out of just about anything - tea, potatoes, dandelions, rose petals! you name it, she'd try to make a bottle of something out of it :lol: . She's going to ask her friend if she's still got the notebook but I don't hold out a lot of hope as she's also given up making wine now so it's probably gone in the bin or into a charity shop by now :( .

There is a great book if you can get hold of it.....

Easy Made Wine - Mrs. Gennery-Taylor - I don't have an ISBN, mine's 1980, originally published in 1957

All country wines and drinks.

My cordial has been steeping for......erm...... a week.... and it's gone a bit 'fizzy' I hope it will be OK?