Mrs Frugal

Elderflower Champagne and Elderflower Cordial

right, i've got my citric acid, had to go to a wine shop to get some and the bloke was really nice. He tried to sell us one of these

http://www.malthouse.com.au/item.php?item_id=356

he uses it to make his own spirits and he sells flavourings to add to the spirits to make them taste like whisky, amaretto, bourbon etc etc.

He gave me a miniature bottle of it to take home.

I also bought some kilner bottles for my cordial.

We got chatting about poetry and I suggested he have a poetry evening in his shop after closing time, with tipples. As he's not allowed to actually sell the stuff he brews himself, he said he might sell cakes and give a glass of booze away with the cake ;)

He's got my phone number and may ring me to come and do a reading some time. See, this is what happens when people ply me with drink, I agree to anything! :roll::lol:

Edited by Guest

...... but one word of caution about elderflowers.........

Sniff them! - some smell likes cat's wee, and if you use those then the cordial/champagne will have a vile smell and taste :lol: Only use the ones which smell fragrant.

Thanks for that Lesley, I've only ever smelt the cat wee ones, I thought they all smelt like that :oops::lol:

I saw quite literally hundreds of elder in full bloom from the train today, couldn't believe it, the embankments and hedgerows were full of them :D (there were even some in a s"Ooops, word censored!" yard with some lupins and foxgloves :lol: )

This is probably a bit obvious, but if anyone only has access to one or two elder trees, remember there will be no berries later in the year if you snip all the flowers off now :wink:

I saw a recipe for elderflower cordial in country living and I am watching the elder tree outside my window on a daily babsis waiting for the flowers to open. They only came out this week!! There aren't enough yet. Thabnks for the tip about smelling them . . .

I've been testing the bottles by squeezing - if they are very hard, then they willl need a release. So far no signs of fizziness at all, but then the mixture is tasty enough to drink straight away! OH has caught the habit, and virtually took over when we bottled up! Now he wants more and is rummaging around for empties.

I was told that when you pick elderflowers you must do it very early in the morning so that the flowerheads would be less likely to have been visited by bees - once pollinated they go over very quickly. Also the best flowerheads are near the top of the bushes now. Go for ones that are very white and still have unopened buds.

we've been out and collected a ton of elderflowers, down by the river. My nose is covered in yellow pollen from bloomin' sniffin' the darn things! :lol:

Most of them smelled fine, there were a few that I thought smelled slightly of cat wee so got OH to smell them and he said they were fine, so we'll have to see how it all turns out!

please can someone help me quckly? :D Do I snip off the flowers or just snip the main stem off and use the whole flower head???? I want to make it now.

i know but there's one main stem then little florets off the main stem on stems of their own :?

never mind, I've done it now, I just snipped off each little floret, hope that's right :lol:

I do something in between - cut smaller bunches of flowers so that there's not too much stalk.

aha! cheers Lesley, it's nicely steeping away now, got loads of flowers left so am going to try the champagne too! :shock::lol:

I'm just testing my cordial now - a nice long glass of it with fizzy water and ice :D

I haven't strained it yet so it has little flowers floating on top, it looks very pretty!

(it's probably full of thunderbugs as well if last year's was anything to go by - but I can't see any :lol: )

i know but there's one main stem then little florets off the main stem on stems of their own :?

Sounds like you have done as Lesley suggested so it should be OK. Maybe Kate has some obscure recipe for elderflower stems somewhere, then there won't be any waste :lol:

Elder flower heads always look like cow parsley or hogweed to me :shock::D

thought I'd post some pics of our elder collecting expedition :lol:

achoo!

elder1.jpg

among the hedgerows...

elder3.jpg

the bounty....

elder4.jpg

nicely steeping...

elder2.jpg

cheers for posting this kate, we've had a great day doing this! :lol:

....as long as you don't get them mixed up with Hemlock flowers :shock::lol:

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

OMG, I hope you're joking! That's what scares me about foraging, I've never done it before and worried about poisoning someone!

I would hope that even in my semi anosmic state I would be able to smell the difference :lol:

Poet, don't worry about foraging, take a photo along if you are worried at all :wink:

I would hope that even in my semi anosmic state I would be able to smell the difference :lol:

Poet, don't worry about foraging, take a photo along if you are worried at all :wink:

I had my little copy of richard mabey's 'food for free' and the photo looked the same! :lol: