Mrs Frugal

Elderflower Champagne and Elderflower Cordial

There were, Poet. She used to make wine out of just about anything -.....

the good old days, when people were far more resourceful than we are in general these days!

Easy Made Wine - Mrs. Gennery-Taylor - I don't have an ISBN, mine's 1980, originally published in 1957

All country wines and drinks.

Oh dear, Abebooks happened to have a copy for 51p (along with 3 other homemade wine books :oops: ). Doesn't an order accumulate quickly :lol: . Thanks Lesley :wink: .

Mmmmm Just bottled up my first batch of cordial. It's sooo yummy. Had to make some more. Just decided to tinker about with the recipe (I can never help doing that) and have done a batch with 2 limes and 1/2 a lemon because that's what I had in the fridge. I put the citric acid in too.

We're just about to get a bigger freezer, which I think is quite handy considering!

Elderflower wine is quite easy though and very tasty. :D

might give that a try then, thanks. Don't s'pose you have your family recipe? I'd rather use a tried and tested one than google for one :D

Poet, My Mum and Dad are currently on their annual pilgrimage to the Highlands of Scotland. :D

They are back next Wednesday so I will have a word with Dad then. :wink:

No point asking them when they phone in, they are on a campsite in Inverewe at the moment, the warden had a henhouse and 5 chickens delivered from Skye at the beginning of the season - all they talk about are these chickens roaming the campsite and how delicious the eggs are. :roll::lol:

Helen

Cheers, Kate.

I went on my daily check - nothing with the big bottles but with the small ex-water bottle it appeared to be a little resistant to my prodding. It went "ft" - not much, but I obviously must be more patient. I

agree, it did taste delish, so I figured if it doesn't fizz at all, we will slurp it anyway.

Have you noticed how quick the flowers are going over on the bushes? They all seem to be racing to flower and set seed this year - same with all the other plants. They seem to know something we don't.

Regards, Kerry

I have a lovely herb book and it has a very similar recipe to Kate's original post, but there are slightly more flower heads in it. Apparently the fizz will come from the pollen, so the more pollen, the quicker it will fizz! I just re-read the recipe in my book and it gives no warning about checking the bottles for gas, so what with all those extra flower heads....... :shock:

thanks helen

did anyone see HFW making elderflower champagne on tonight's episode?

Wonder if any of his bottle went boom? He didn't say! :lol:

I've got those exact same grolsch style bottles so I might just risk trying some.

well, we bottled some of our cordial today, still got some more brewing :lol: having some now with lunch of homemade bread and bacon from my butcher. Gorgeous!

cordial.jpg

They look lovely Justine. We've just bottled up our second batch of cordial and used citric acid this time. The fist lot we used the juice of an extra 2 lemons instead. I thought that the one without the citric acid was much nicer. The elderflower taste was more dominant. Personal taste though!!

I'm so lucky where I live - there are sooo many elderflower trees :D

I've got those exact same grolsch style bottles so I might just risk trying some.

Where can I buy those lovely bottles from?

i got mine from a local home brew shop, £15.99 for 12 bottles

can't sleep :? anyways, had some elderflower cordial tonight with some ice cold sparkling water, definitely the way to drink it! :lol:

I'm finding it hard to restrain myself, it's soooooooooooo delicious. I usually drink sugar free drinks! Maybe that's why I can't sleep, I'm having a sugar rush!?

like the new avatar? I was bored :P I best get to bed! :roll:

like the new avatar? I was bored :P I best get to bed! :roll:

I do :D although the other one was very clever :D

I tend to wander the floor boards and forum :wink: when I can't sleep too :( I'd love to be able to do all the house work but I enjoy having a couple of hours peace, despite it being some unearthly hour :lol:

Karen x

I don't know how long our cordial is going to last, although I have made loads of it, it seems to be going quickly. ...

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got about 5 litres or so in the freezer, I'm trying to save it for later in the year.

I'm saving a bottle in the fridge as a gift but it's burning a hole! :lol: