Mrs Frugal

Elderflower Champagne and Elderflower Cordial

It does, I may add a few more head next time as I do wonder if it is a little less strong. Having said that the blooms on the tree that I usually use are not as good this year. I am going to take my next batch from a different tree. I certainly don't think you can taste demerara.

Alis girls...... sounds like you might have to restart this. Make up a yeast starter and add a little to each bottle together with a desertspoon of sugar (I find it easier to dissolve this in a little water first and add the syrup).

As an afterthought..........did it ferment in your bucket before you bottled it and did you add any yeast to start with? Sometimes there is not enough wild yeast in the flowers to get it going and sometimes the fermentation is so vigorous that it ferments out before you bottle it.

Right....It sounds as if it didn't start.

Taste it. If it tastes OK and sweet put it back in your bucket or whatever you started it in. Make up a yeast starter. Half a teaspoon of yeast (The baking kind will do) stir into a half pint glass half filled with lukewarm water into which you have put a teaspoon of sugar. Cover with clingfilm and leave somewhere warm for an hour after which it should be bubbling nicely. Tip this starter into your brew and start again.

If it tastes odd then you'll have to throw it.

Did you wash the flowers?

I've never made the Champagne but the cordial has been a staple for several years. I always freeze it to ensure it keeps - I just buy packs of 50cl water bottles, empty and fill with cordial immediately.

This year I have experimented. It always seems a waste to throw away the lemon slices which have been soaking in the sugar syrup. They taste delicious in themselves but I have just chopped up probably the equivalent of a whole lemon's worth and put them in an almond cake. It was lovely. Next time I might throw in a slug of the cordial too. Or slice and put elderflower cream in.

Sue

Had a mini disaster today when I realised that I hadn't released the gasses on some of my bottles. As I unscrewed the metal lid on a strong glass bottle, it went boom :shock::shock: The lid disappeared and remarkably the bottle did not break. A huge fountain of froth shot upwards, all over the wallpaper in my downstairs loo :evil: I held the bottle over the wash basin and it just frothed and frothed until the bottle was empty. My hand was sore but not cut by the lid, which I found later, completely folded in half and with all the screw thread ridges blown out :shock:

I grabbed the rest of the bottles of the same date (now thankful that I date my different batches) which were all plastic, and put them outside, and managed to de-fizz them later on.

Take care folks, this is a dangerous past time :lol:

Cracked open a bottle today at our annual picnic in the park. It was brother and sisters birthday yesterday so we celebrated today. It was fizzy and very tasty. Everyone loved it :D All gone though :( But luckily we have another 2L in the fridge :dance: Will make it again next year, but much, much more :D

How long do you all leave it before bottling?

On the website the comments suggest leaving it for three weeks to avoid explosions then adding a teaspoon of sugar to the bottle before bottling.

Any tips for tried and tested methods on here? Mine has been brewing for 10 days now.

I use the recipe on this thread and it stands for two days before bottling. When you bottle it, it is flat but starts fizzing quite soon after, without the aid of yeast as the flower pollen does the same thing. Bottles need checking and gas releasing every day, or they go boom, like one of mine did last year. Mine is now very fizzy, it was picked on 27th May and bottled on 29th. We have loads of flowers round here so I am hoping to pick some more this week for another batch :D