Mrs Frugal

Elderflower Champagne and Elderflower Cordial

**Elderflower Champagne Warning**

I have just had a disaster! I'd forgotten to unscrew the top of the 2 litre bottle regularly which was on the top shelf of the larder while I waited for it to fizz up enough for drinking after making it. We were sat drinking coffee this morning when there was an almighty bang followed by a series of smashing sounds and dripping water. I ran into the kitchen to investigate and found that the plastic bottle had exploded, pushed the side out of the larder which in turn knocked a lovely old teapot off a shelf. This fell into and smashed a china bowl on the worktop while inside the larder, a tall glass pasta jar flew off the top shelf and smashed on the floor below! The larder is swimming in elderflower champagne and the surrounding floor and shelves are now sticky and covered in shards of glass and bits of antique tea pot .

Make sure you release the tops of your elderflower champagne every now and then and make certain your bottles are strong enough!!!

Kate, it's like Laurel and Hardy. As good/terrible as them moving the piano up those stairs. "Another fine mess!" :roll:

I couldn't find citric acid either but found a tip on the internet. Use the juice of an additional two lemons instead. It's worked perfectly, only problem is I don't know what I'm going to do when it's run out. Might need to make enough to last all year.. :think::D

I made some cordial on Sunday and it's lovely. May have to make some more. :lol:

Got my citric acid from Tesco pharmacy, who was rapidly selling out as everyone was buying it to use with elderlowers. I think he thought we were all slightly mad.

the elderflowers are out all over the place here now, I never knew we had elder trees near us until today! :lol:

so, am going collecting on saturday.

how often should I unscrew/let some of the gas out of the champagne and do you have to keep on doing that with any unopened bottles ad infinitum?

I can't answer about the champagne Poet as I only make the cordial....... but one word of caution about elderflowers.........

Sniff them! - some smell likes cat's wee, and if you use those then the cordial/champagne will have a vile smell and taste :lol: Only use the ones which smell fragrant.

I discarded a couple of flower heads the other day and left them in a bucket in the utility room. An hour later, we were wondering what the vile smell was and were on the point of blaming the old tom cat :?:lol: - and he lives outside!!!

Sniff them! - some smell likes cat's wee, and if you use those then the cordial/champagne will have a vile smell and taste :lol: Only use the ones which smell fragrant.

OH thought I was mad when I went sniffing through the pile of elderflowers we'd picked on a walk but you're right some of them smell disgusting! I read that they go yellow once they are fertilised and that's what makes them smell bad. You should only use the pure white ones but they all looked the same to me.

And just to reiterate the warning on exploding champagne - the top blew off one of my bottles last night when I was loosening it a half-turn. Luckily it was the bottle that wasn't completely full so contents stayed in the bottle not all over the room! OH thought a bomb had gone off and I've never seen the dog move so fast :lol: Poor Roxy - she'll need valium if she gets any more scares this week. :anxious:

I can't answer about the champagne Poet as I only make the cordial....... but one word of caution about elderflowers.........

I discarded a couple of flower heads the other day and left them in a bucket in the utility room. An hour later, we were wondering what the vile smell was and were on the point of blaming the old tom cat :?:lol: - and he lives outside!!!

uh oh, Ian's left some in a carrier bag in the boot of the car! He brought them home to show me that he'd found some, they've been there 2 days now! :shock: I'll get him to bin them ASAP :roll:

thanks for the tip!