Snowy

Anxious and guilty Mum

Who'd be a mother! I've just packed 16 year old off on the bus to enrol for college. On his own. I know he was nervous as he had an upset tum and couldn't eat any breakfast (not like him at all!). He knows where he is going and it is a bus route he is used to, so why do I feel as if I should have taken him? Will the other 16 year olds be accompanied by anxious parents?? Will he enrol OK? Will he write everything down that he is supposed to find out about? Aaahhhhh!

I won't feel settled until I know he is on the bus home again!

(and this would normally be peppered with smilies but they are not working for me, so just insert lots of anxious looks and rolling eyes where appropriate :grin:)

Aww, I'm sure once he gets there and sees everyone else in the same boat he'll be fine. Probably even meet some new mates and go for a coffee or a coke. You'll be frantic until he gets home and when he walks in the door grinning, you'll feel a huge sense of relief!! You did the right think Snowy, hard though it was. He has to start sometime and now, right at the beginning, is the best time. For what it's worth, I would have done the same.

Hang in there missus !!

Snowy,

I am sure that he will be OK. We all worry about our kids whatever they are doing and I am sure that if he does forget to ask anything you can ring the college later. This situation is new for him but the college deals with this every year. He will probably have a great time when he gets there.

Don't worry he will be fine!

Hugs,

Lisa :D

aw poor you.

I think you've done the right thing- these days too many teenagers are ferried around by their parents and are not allowed any independence- I remember travelling the length of the country on the train by myself going to interview days for University when I was 17- these days parents seem to go along too- which doesnt seem fair on the teenager- I met loads of people doing the same thing as me, it just wouldn't have been the same with Mum and Dad tagging along.

I wish you and your son well.

Ahhhh, he'll be fine and will be all the better for going alone and taking responsibility for his future.

I still remember the first day I enrolled at college, a flurry of paperwork, catching the train etc. In those days your parents didn't take you anywhere. We had 1 old car and Dad took it to work every day so Mum and I got the bus/train everywhere.

I know how you feel about not taking him though. I feel the same with my kids. I ferry them everywhere and I worry that they don't have anything like the freedom I had at that age when my Mum turfed my out to play in the fields and just expected me back at tea time. But that problem is all my own making.

Aww, thanks! :D

Em he's doing a performing musician course. Hoping to work with bands and possibly get work as a drummer himself eventually.

When he got home he'd found out everything he needed to, and even made a new friend 8) What a good boy! :lol: *sigh of relief* :lol:

Pleased it all went ok. I honestly wonder whether, if I had known just how much I would worry about my kids or feel guilty about doing the wrong thing, I would have had them in the first place. You did exactly the right thing but I don't suppose it will be the last time that you are wondering whether that is the case :!:

And I got all worried about our little boy when he started his new job recently. Bless him - it all went OK, but he is only 30.

Seriously though its pretty good now, because I think he worries about us as much as we worry about him. Her indoors has been pretty ill recently and came out of hospital on Monday - the boy hasn't been off the phone since she came out and he is driving up from London, plus girlfriend, to spend the bank holiday weekend with the aged infirm and poorly.

Only thing is, my cooking isn't up to four folk so he'll have to do some work in the kitchen as well as doing the sympathy bit with the boss.