Dinkychick

Antibiotics

My chuck Strut has always been a bit of a runt, she tends to sneeze alot but seeing as they were dry sneezes we left it a week or so, when the sneezes were with the occasional beak bubble i asked the vet for some antibiotics. Shes not daft lol, the first day i gave her them on a small bit of bread... these chucks are only 15[ish]weeks old and unless you work them up they are not easily caught so i had to think of a stress free alternative of getting the medicine into her. The second day she didnt want to eat the bread... and the third i covered the bread with her food so she had to peck both haha... see chuck i learn to! :lol:

My question is.... how long am i meant to give the antibiotics for? its been 3 days now and i seem to have rather alot left! Is it like us and you just take the whole lot? I guess i have maybe 5 days left, its hard to tell... its just i cant remember what the vet said. :?

Hi Dinky

It's probably best to phone the vet and check, because the number of days will vary according to t(a) he concentration of the antibiotic, (b) the size of the individual dose s/he has recommended, and © the frequency of those doses.

At least you haven't got to worry about egg withdrawal as Strut isn't laying.

As an aside, you might want to get some citricidal to put in their drinking water, as that often helps with sneezy wheezing. Obviously if it doesn't clear it up then you'd need to consider antibiotics.

Hi,

I find it easier to hook the hen out of the egg port when they are sleepy,& syringe the antibiotics straight into the beak,so you know they have been dosed.

Citricidal or Respite are good to add to the water of a hen with a cold.

You will need to ask the vets about doseage - I am suprised they did not write it on the bottle - they should have really.