mostin

My chickens are rebelling against me! It's so funny.

Every time I put straw in the nest box I get eggs covered in poo, take straw out of nest box = clean eggs.

After reading this wonderful forum from top to bottom I realised that when I put straw in, one of my ladies must be sleeping in there, hence the mess. Last night I went out with a torch to check and I was right.

Both of them were squshed into the nest box! One fully, and one trying to get in. I then followed advice from forum. I chivied them out and put a heavy plant pot in the nest box so they would have to roost on the bars. The trouble was I forgot one factor, I don't shut my eglu door untill it gets colder.

This morning when I went ouside, I found they had both slept all night outside the eglu on the grass in protest! Because of this their knickers are covered with poo, they are soggy and look a complete mess. I had to laugh though that they could be that stubborn.

I think I will wait a couple of weeks until I shut the door on a night and then try the plant pot trick again.

I will not be out-manouvered!

Have you tried using shredded paper in the nesting box. I shred virtually everything I can get my hands on and then put a load in the nesting box. It's cheap and easy to replace every day. Somedays, it doesn't get mucky so it lasts a bit longer. I then put the soiled paper in the compost bin. If you don't have enough paper to shred then I'm sure friends and relatives will help out :D

If sleeping on shredded paper isn't as nice to them as straw I may give it a try, They may naturally migrate to the roosting bars then.

I would prefer persussion rather than force but those are a pair of stubborn ladies I've got. I think A.N.H. is right and they will win in the end :wall::boohoo:

I think shredded paper is just as cosy as straw and I know one of mine sleeps in the nesting box but because the shredded paper is cheap to replace I don't worry about having to replace it if it gets mucky every day.

I check every morning when I let them out of the eglu and just pop some fresh paper in if if needs changing before they lay their eggs. That way my eggs are always nice and clean. Can't think of a better use for all that junk mail that comes through my letter box :D

One of our girls (Marmite), sleeps in the nest box and has done since we got her in January. We use shredded paper but lately there has been a lot of poo every morning which covers the egg that she lays. She is definitely boss hen so has the comfy next box to sleep in!!

This week we have tried putting a football in the box so she can't sleep in there and it seems to be working - just have to remember to take it out before I go to bed otherwise she can't lay her egg there first thing. She sits just behind the box now but has pushed the other 2 along so she has prime position next to the door!

Will be brave next week and leave the football out to see if she will stay on the roosting bars once it has gone or revert to the nesting box!

(pink eglu) Home to Tikka, Marmite and Honey

I think I will try the football trick, as they still managed to squeeze round the side of the plant pot for a sneak poo attack :evil:, but the football will be too wide for them to get round.

Will be amusing to see if they can get round that one.

I don't mind changing the straw every morning, it's just that Priscilla is a very early layer and it's difficult to get to the nest box to clean it before she's in laying.

We found that our's ate shredded paper - you'd put it in the nexting box in the morning and by the following morning it would be gone! Now you would think we don't feed them or something, but I tell you they are 3 of the best fed hens around - they free range all day long and the grub get refilled daily!

I thought I was going mad when the shredded paper kept vanishing so now I have taken to using hemcore which is straw bedding used for horses and that works a treat!

Another tip we found worked was shimming up a partition of sorts between the nest and roosting bars out of cardboard, that works quite well too, but can get a bit battered when feathers are flapping when one or the other has taken up someone elses space!!

Thanks,

I will definitely have to shift my attack up a gear as Priscilla went up a gear on me this evening. I noticed she went to bed 20 mins early and left Lillian out on her own. Two unusual circumstances. When I looked in the eglu, she was already in the nest box! She was determined to get the best spot before either I did with my flower pot or Lillian did. :lol::lol:

That chicken has a will of iron.

Think I will go shopping for a football this weekend. She's in for a shock anyway as I pick up my POL Amber Link and Black Rock tomorrow to double the size of my family. Very excited!!!! :dance::dance:

Help!

We have had our 4 chickens and Eglu cube for one week now - and they are all sleeping in the nesting box, which means it gets very pooey very quickly. I read somewhere about putting a football in the nesting box to disuade them.

We now have 2 basketballs and a football in the nesting box and 4 chickens perching on top of them.

Is this normal?

That has left quite a mental picture in my head, as well as making me laugh out loud.

Poor you, at least in my eglu I only have 1 nest box to guard.

Priscillas bottom was getting into such a mess with sleeping in the poo all the time that I have taken all the bedding out of the nest box. She has stopped sleeping in there and we are getting clean eggs again.

What did make me giggle was that I caught her taking leaves from outside in the run back in to the nestbox to try and make it soft and comfortable again. She was not impressed and grumbled quite loudly when I removed those too. :roll: