Ana's flock

Almost eggless - with 10 hens!

Can anyone give us some tips on how to get the girls back to work? OK, three of our 13 are now confirmed cockerels, and the araucana girl might have been sold to me as a POL by the farmer but I think she was approaching 'henopause' as she laid about 6 or 7 lovely bluey/green eggs and stopped, but the other 9...? :?:?:

The oldest girl we have (out of those 9) is Betty, an original Pepperpot from Omlet we had in February 2007 - all the others are younger and the only one who has some sort of regularity and is still laying is Astrid, a very pettite white star.

They have plenty of space in their run, a clean eglu with plenty of fluffy stuff for laying, a nice 6 x 8 shed to get in if it rains, tree and hedge cover, mud and dust to roll in, plenty of food and clean water to drink. They get out for a couple of hours in the evening and at weekends when they can eat my plants, dig my lawn and spread compost and pebbles all over the patio :evil::evil::evil: They get the (very) occasional treat (as I've read they are not too good for the egg production), but plenty of attention - they follow me when we're all 'free ranging' in the garden.

The question is: what am I doing wrong?

Please advice because OH has threatened with (wait for this...) buying eggs from Tesco's value range! ( :doh: blasphemy!!!)

Please advice because OH has threatened with (wait for this...) buying eggs from Tesco's value range! ( :doh: blasphemy!!!)

I took my mum shopping last night and she made a big fuss about buying English tomatoes then sent me to get some eggs, I asked if she wanted free range and she said no and to just get the cheapest :evil:

I hope your problem gets sorted out by some knowledgable forum member x

No mites - I pour lice/mite powder regularly on the areas where they roll or dust-bath. Worms? that could be a possibility... would it affect egg production?

(Off she goes to find out what to get to de-worm).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yep, worms will stop them laying. Flubenvet will be your best bet :)

Well, I've put some Verm-X with their feed (layers pellets - with some cracked corn for nice yellow yolks), I've also thoroughly de-mited and de-liced them (and myself in the process :vom: ) and apart from three of them they're all in their enclosure - I need to trim the wing feathers of the three escapees... again! but I'll wait for my boys to be back as these young chickens are very hard to catch and I've got other things to do. Plus today is sunny so they might as well enjoy a bit of freedom.

Fingers crossed for some eggs within the next week or two... :pray:

Thanks for your advise everyone. I've taken note to buy Flubenvet next time. See how I get with the Verm-X first as I already have it.

Well fortunately four eggs the day after the cube arrived. OH was impressed as they were very clean, you see Daisy used to sleep with her bottom over the nest box!! She can't now!!!

Three yesterday . . .

So erratic, as I said before feast or famine!

How about you?

I know the feeling!

11 hens - and only 2 eggs the last 3 days - I was getting 6 a day last week!

OK - so 2 of the girls are ex-batts and only lay softies now. 3 of the girls are newbies - and too young, but the other 6 - come on girls????

I've wormed them now - maybe the weather is having an effect early this year?

I'm now worming mine ... second time in two months. The new chickens are doing all the laying with the older hens (er, older by a month or two) scoffing food constantly and no eggs.

3kg / 8 hens / 3 days = 125 grams layers pellets

And only getting 3 to 4 medium/small eggs a day :evil: