Crooked Chicken

Would you invest in Stocks and Shares in the current climate

I've very kindly been given a large sum of money from my parents who have sold a house. The thing is - what to do with it!! :roll:

Luckily, it's something that we don't need to touch for say 7/8 years - maybe more. Husband would like to invest in stocks and shares (not that we've ever done that before), and I'm, well, VERY cautious, especially with all the financial news lately. Thinking more of a bond or some sort of savings account.

What would you do? :?

If you havent already got an ISA get one and max it out.

I would put the rest in a high interest savings account and, like suggested above, if its over £35K split it among different banks so you know you are covered if they go down.

Personally i would touch stocks & shares right now at all - way too risky.

I dont wish to put a dampner on things but property prices are expected to drop significantly further, so if you can I would wait until it the decline has slowed before investing in property :? . However, if it is not burning a hole in your pocket, property will be the thing to put your money in soon, so hang on in there!

I'm finding it a nightmare at the moment.

Not only do I bank with Halifax :roll::roll::roll: , but their financial advisor persuaded me that my lump sum (from when I retired last year) could "work so much better" in a Personal Investment Plan than with standard savings accounts. They showed me all these very convincing graphs of what I could expect to make. I chose ethical investments because I didn't want to bouy up the corporate fat cats.

This was all just before the sub-prime problems and the credit crunch. *sigh*

A year later, not only have I not made a profit, I'm about £1500 down. I need to keep my money in for the long haul in the hope of an eventual upturn, or will make a huge loss. I feel I was misadvised, but then again "Ooops, word censored!"ody was actually forcing me to do it. I have "Ooops, word censored!"ody to blame but myself. Should have stuck with the safer options. :(

I would choose a high interest internet account - or a few different ones if you want to spread the risk. Some pay 7.2% at the moment.

You could always put some in Premium Bonds too for the fun of it although the MoneySavingExpert guy says they're not really worth it statistically. I have some and win some months, lose others but it's great when you do win (I got £500 a few years ago!)

As you do not need the money for 7/8 years, then I would buy a property. You can get good deals at the mo and it will go up in price before you need to sell it :D My neighbour works for HSBC in Canary Wharf and has predicted that towards the end of next year the value of property will start to climb again.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it :mrgreen:

I've very kindly been given a large sum of money from my parents who have sold a house. The thing is - what to do with it!! :roll: What would you do? :?

I'd open a euro account with some of it (eg at Abbey). The economic downturn could have a lot further to go. If the US Treasury Secretary's plan fails, or only fixes things for a couple of months, then 1929 could like look like a walk in park compared to end 2008/beginning 2009.

I'd open a euro account with some of it (eg at Abbey). The economic downturn could have a lot further to go. If the US Treasury Secretary's plan fails, or only fixes things for a couple of months, then 1929 could like look like a walk in park compared to end 2008/beginning 2009.

The only problem with Abbey is that they are part of the Santander Group, and do not have a British based bank, so are not covered by the FSA's bail out up to £35,000 should things go totally down the pan.

Tessa

The only problem with Abbey is that they are part of the Santander Group, and do not have a British based bank, so are not covered by the FSA's bail out up to £35,000 should things go totally down the pan.

Tessa

Yes, I should have added that I was suggesting this by way of "spreading the risk".

I guess everyone knows that the FSA's guarantee applies only to one account per person per licensed institution (not per bank).