Rolo Rabbit

Puppy with wobbly tum

Here I am again :? When we got Molly she took a while to settle down mainly because the food she was on didn't agree with her and we were constantly clearing up very sloppy poos. We didn't realise this wasn't normal :oops: never having had a puppy before.

She's now on James Wellbeloved and has mostly been fine but for the last few days she's done a lot of very squitty poos. This morning I had 4 to clear up when I came down. Not the best way to start the day. We've been mixing her food with rice to try to settle things down and sometimes her poos have firmed up again(sorry to give so many details) but this is now the 4th day of wobbles and I'm not sure what to do. She's had rice and egg for breakfast. Shall I just give her that all day or is that too much egg? Or should we starve her for a day? She's perfectly bouncy and happy apart from the poops.

I'm sure some of you will have had experience of this - what do you do?

Hi there,

I have a puppy every year so here goes. Firstly how old is she now?

Very young pups can go downhill fast - so keep an eye on her.

Is the James Welbeloved the pup food or adult? if she is still young you need to have her on puppy food.

You also need to rule out whether there is anything in the garden she may be eating such as fox poo, chicken food, fruit (blackberries) etc - all of which could be upsetting her stomach. Lexis has terrible loose stool if she eats the chickens pellets. :oops:

Make sure she has water - put some pup equivalent of lectade (from petshop) in her water to keep up her vitamins/minerals etc. and starve her for 24 hours. Introduce food gradually after the 24 hour fast, giving her small meals rice, chicken, so as not to overload her stomach.

Try it and see how it goes - if no better then I would see the vet.

Hope this helps - I'm not an expert but this is how I would deal with it!

Thanks you two. She's now 14 weeks so not tiny any more. She is on the puppy food. I think you might be right about what she's eating in the garden. She does head into the chicken run if she gets the chance so maybe she is eating the pellets. I know the cat's food was upsetting her before we realised she was stealing it. There are so many things she could be doing but it's very difficult to watch her all the time in the garden as she goes behind the bushes to play with the rabbit.

I'll give her nothing else for the rest of the day (except her water) and see how she is in the morning. And keep the run door shut!

Too much food will give a pup an upset tum and if she's being a bit greedy eating the cat's food and chicken's food I would think that is probably the answer.

My dog is on a raw diet, he has always had tummy problems but they are now a thing of the past, Put BARF into google and have a look at a raw diet. Sorry I am very passionate about this subject and it is very simple and much cheaper than commercial food and much healthier for your dog. I can highly recommend it.

My dog seems to be allergic to rice - if he's ill, it always makes him worse. The vet told me to give him white fish and potato if he's poorly, which always sorts him out. He also told me not to starve him, incidentially - don't know if this is just my vet's opinion or if the advice has changed.

My dog has never tolerated rice, it always made him worse. We were always at the vets but we haven't been for almost a year and it's 11 months since I put him on a raw diet, what more can I say, there are loads of books on the subject. If you want to know anythiing PM me.

Regards

Nicola

She doesn't need any help producing those! :vom: She seems fine this morning. I did give her rice yesterday because she was sooo hungry and we've had 2 nice sausage shaped poos so I think things have settled down again. We'll reintroduce her food gradually and hope for the best. Thanks for all your advice.

To add my two penn'orth, if my labs (greedy little so & suches that they are!) have overdosed on anything they shouldn't - dry pasta, sultanas, sunflower seeds, swimming pool water, chook poo etc etc etc!!! :vom::wall: - resulting in a dicky tum, a dose or two of Dorwest Herbs Tree Barks Powder seems to sort them out.

If they are on starvation diet, I mix a dose with a spoonful or two of natural yoghurt. Smells revolting to me, but they quickly pack it away. Any port in a storm maybe!

It's suitable from weaning age up, inc pregnant/lactating .

Hope she settles, although as I'm a bit slow on the take-up here, she's probably right as rain by now. :roll:

HTH, Sha x