One Man Banned

An Allotment

I think I have finally reached the pinnacle of old age.

Right now I am conversing with Stroud District Council and Gloucester City Council to get myself an allotment.

I can't wait to hear when or if I am likely to get one and at only .50p a week rent I think it's gonna be a while!

I've been really inspired this year by what we have grown in the garden but I just don't have enough room here and I really don't trust the girls when it comes to their free ranging! (Geri DUG her way out of the run today and came running over to me when I got in looking very pleased with herself! 8)

I went to get a nice new book that's out from the Library today and guess what - it's already out! - still will get it in 3 weeks as I have reserved it so they can't keep it!! (and joe will have to reserve it too when I have it so I can keep it a bit longer!)

I'm sure all of the green fingered amongst us can help me, but for now I am off to discuss with Joey what we're going to grow - talk about counting ones chickens...

Oh, and my nice new winter shade, 20 egg boxes and my apron arrived today so big happy smile on MY face :lol::D:lol:

Almost ready to set up my little hen-cam too - got a nice one from PC world tother day so may be able to film the girls to see what they get up to when we're not here!

ttfn

A

xx

I'm second in the queue for an allotment :oops::oops: put my name down in march so I am still waiting. It's not old fogey stuff anymore it's supposed to be 8) but I may be 110 by the time someone decides to give it up :shock::wink:

I've had to make do with tumbling toms in a hanging basket and strawberries for now. Safe from the girls. Oh and a pumpkin in the front garden border :D

BBx

We had an allotment 15 years ago Andrew! Not quite over the hill! We had to let it go though as the boys grew into toddlers as they just didn't have the patience to wait while we did the digging and weeding. We've just got ourselves half an allotment and it's full of potatoes! They are great! There are so many people to answer questions and help out if you've got a problem! Good luck! You'll love it!

You are soooo lucky!!! We used to have one before we moved, and I've recently put my name down for a local one. However the whole borough of Islington has only 16 half plots, and the waiting list is over 300 names! They reckon I could wait for 10 years!!!

Makes me feel a bit mean for putting my name down, seeing as we've got a garden anyway and there are so many people round here without even that. But then I think its good to register an interest anyway, even if I don't get one, because they need more!!!

got one of those already Karen - on the dash of the Volvo for when we tow the caravan

along with some rather fetching driving gloves!! :lol:

:D I read Karen's post as "Cat flap" - and wondered why you would have a cat-flap on the dashboard of your Volvo... :roll:

Phil

got one of those already Karen - on the dash of the Volvo for when we tow the caravan

along with some rather fetching driving gloves!! :lol:

:D I read Karen's post as "Cat flap" - and wondered why you would have a cat-flap on the dashboard of your Volvo... :roll:

Phil

So did I Phil :roll: I even read it a couple of times and did not twig :oops::lol::lol::lol: It was only when I read your post that the penny dropped :roll:

We had an allotment once,& it was great for a while but then it got hot & we got lazy about the watering......

So we are back to growing in the garden which is fine,& easier for us too (except for the lugging of watering cans back & forth!)

I just grow the toms in the greenhouse,courgettes (which are doing really well),french beans & a bit of salad.

With the eggs too we are mostly eating salad nicoise & ratatoille at the moment :P

Glad you are pleased with your Omlet goodies - isn't it great when they arrive?

I got my "BEWARE OF THE CHICKENS" doormat this week & it looks fab in the porch.

Heard the postman chuckling away to himself over it too :lol:

I phoned our local council last summer and was told that the waiting list was 2-3 years, so we started a veg patch at home. Then last week I had some time off work and did some planning for autumn sowing, and started to feel frustrated by the lack of space (cabbages and broccoli needing a lot of it!).

On impulse I got hold of the phone number for the secretary of the local allotment society and arranged to go for a look round. By lucky chance there was a small (30' x 25') plot, abandoned by its previous tenants and running to grass and poppies (but otherwise in a tolerable state). The old boy was clearly keen to get someone in asap to tidy it up, and so it took only a modicum of charm to get him on my side :wink:

48 hours later I had the keys to the gate :D:D:D

I know I was very lucky and this won't work for everyone, but it seems that council allotment officers often only get to hear of vacancies that individual secretaries can't fill through their own personal contacts. A direct approach is always worth a try - just be polite and enthusiastic. I guess some might call it queue-jumping - but I don't think the council can force secretaries to put all their vacancies on the general list, so why not use your initiative and get a head start on the people who are content to just "put their name down"?

Best of luck!

Anne