Martin B

Lazy no eggs!

Hi,

Both of my chooks haven't laid in 4 days! We was getting at least one egg a day for about 3 weeks, and then suddenly they seem to be having a mini break!

Also they are both just finding any spot to have a lie down in and are not moving around very much. I have checked them over and there are no obvious problems, and they are getting food and water ok (about the only time they can be bothered to move.)

Any ideas!

===Martin===

Funnily enough I was just coming to do a post because my 4 who reguarly been giving me 3 eggs a day have gone to just 1 a day for the last 4-5 days, there eating and drinking fine. I checked my book and they say they are more likely to go of lay in winter because not so much daylight, but could the heat be doing the same thing??

Any suggestions gratefully recieved

Libby

Hi

My girls also had a period of random egglaying in the heat and not only that when they did lay egg size reduced too - only managing 47 - 50g. I put it down to the heat. About 10 days ago I started putting a sprinkle of poultry spice in their pellet porridge in the morning and for the past week they have started laying regularly again and the eggs are bigger. Cleo gave me a 67 g egg yesterday and a 65g egg today - her biggest to date. :D

Don't know if the poultry spice has had this effect, also gave them a dusting with louse powder last week so could have also helped.

Elaine

ps I've been told I'm a bit sad weighing the eggs!

ps I've been told I'm a bit sad weighing the eggs!

I don't think so!! But then I'm biased - I do it too! For me the egg weighing is a bit of a ritual. The hens have put in so much work producing the eggs it feels almost like a sign of acknowledgement or respect to weigh the eggs! (I also say 'thank you' to them! :roll::oops::lol: ) And I tell myself that I can pick up signs about changing egg production & hen health that way!

I think we all like a rest and lay in the sun for a while, I think lighting storms can put them off too. They seem happy in the hot weather but still not laying for over a week! :( I don't half fancy an omlette, but i'm sure (if when they do start laying again they'll be extra big and yummy :lol:

Henrietta stopped laying in the middle of June, not long after we got a new garden fence. She finally started laying on Thursday 9th November (before I went to work). I assume that she hadn't laid in between and I wouldn't have known it was her egg if I hadn't have checked that she wasn't eating another of Ginger's eggs! I noticed she was in the eglu and found there was no egg under her or for her to eat. I don't know if Ginger is still laying as we haven't seen her eggs for a while and for a while, there have been signs of egg eating :cry:

Lizzie had been laying most days during the summer, but I think she may have stopped. She is the only one who hasn't been to the vet (end of August). The others have done some moulting and now she is, but she is lively as ever.

Our egg situation got so bad that I nearly had to buy some! :oops: