AnnieP

Ban on citronella

Absolutely ridiculous. Went to get more fly spray for the poor old donks only to be told that all fly sprays containing citronella, and tea tree oil will be banned from September!

EU apparently: The regulation is part of the Biocidal Products Directive (1998), which contains a long list of substances treated as "guilty until proven innocent". Lavender and eucalyptus have also been banned in insecticides!!!

Where will the madness end???

I am furious, oh yes, and its now illegal to make your own fly spray up too!

My view is, if it doesn't seem to be "necessary", i.e. it's bureaucracy taken to extremes rather than a genuine danger to sensible users, I'll ignore it - I know people worry about us turning into a Big Brother state (in the Orwellian sense, not brainless reality TV!), but let's face it , how will the EU ever find out? :wink:

I'm getting more and more exasperated by this:

It appears that the problem lies in lack of proof that these natural ingredients aren't harmful! Major companies will not stump up the money to do the clinical trials necessary, so it seems are resporting to replace the natural ingredients with chemicals, which of course, have had a plethora of tests carried out on them already.

So my poor donkeys are now smothered with chemicals. :cry:

Where will it end? A ban to candles/soap etc. scented with these ingredients? :evil:

I can appreciate the general principle that just because something's natural, it doesn't mean it's safe - Mother Nature produces some of the deadliest poisons on the planet! The real problem is that the EU makes these blanket regulations which effectively stifle all but the megacorporations - then they spend more money trying to break up the monopolies that their policies have encouraged :roll:

I'm all for a united Europe in terms of shrugging off millennia of enmity and fostering trade links - I just wish the EU would make better use of its powers :evil:

Exactly!

I make up my own repellent for use on the chooks/bunnies/eglu by mixing up some citronlla oil with some eucalyptus and either sprinkling it on the Aubiose or diluting it in a water spray for generally spraying over animals/the garden. I also put drops onto some kitchen paper and slide it between the run mesh and the run cover.

Yep: Similar to mine: Citronella, Eucalyptus, tea tree and apple cider vinegar, watered down. Keeps the flies at bay off me and should any of the bloomin things bite anyway, its a really good soother! Just can't make it up in large enough quantities for the donkeys though... :cry:

I trained as a Clinical Aromatherpaist and you get used to hearing these tihngs. It's just because the "conventional" treatments go through rigorous testing to go on the market to make huge profts, so they are "safer" although alot harsher :twisted: . I guess natural products do not attract the same sponsorships and incomes etc. :roll: It's daft. I used oils such as lemon or grapefruit , lavender and tea tree for cleaning at home. I am asthmatic and find that alot of mass produced chemical based products aggravate me.

I use a mild blend of lavender and tea tree to wash out my bunnies hutches, the eglu, and tea tree for my chinchillas tray.

I am sure your lovely donks would prefer tea tree and lavender or similar to harsh chemicals on its skin, especially in the recent heat.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Rant over!!!! Promise ha ha "!!

Best wishes

Lisa GNR(pink eglu)GNR

I think that the main animals you need to be very cautious about using essential oils on are cats - being true carnivores (not omnivores like dogs - and chickens!) they have come to rely on their prey to process plant toxins, so they can be poisoned by the most "innocuous" of things, such as alcohol and tea tree :(