Guest Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 OK I've remembered why we don't fly. Our journey yesterday took us far too long - we were up for 20 hours (even James!) without sleep. I'm going to buy a map today as the one the car hire people gave use was next to useless and that was even with me reading it (yes I have to drive and read the map - mother is USELESS at map reading!) But the majority of our journey was 10 hours on a Virgin Atlantic plane. Now I've always heard good things about Virgin but I was not remotely impressed with this flight. It was hard to get drinks except when they were bringing them round, which left us feeling dehydrated several times as of course we hadn't been able to bring any bottles through from landside and the "bag drop" followed by security had taken so long there wa no time to shop airside (Despite us having arrived 3 hours before our flight!). We pressed our buttons but the cabin staff seemed adept at ignoring them. The flight, of course, had a LOT of children on board and they did run a little competition for them to draw pictures. We were delayed at take off (when aren't you?) and that put the meals behind. We were all special orders, Mum and I were down for the veggie and James was down for a childrens meal. James like many of the kids was getting tetchy because he was hungry then at about 1.30 they brought round the veggie meals - when questioned about the kids meals we were told they would be along before the regular meals as they were doing the specials first - we thought it was barking to do the veggies before the kiddies. James had to wait another 1/2 hour for his meal, by which time he'd eaten half of ours! The next meal was a sandwich for the kids and a roll for us and this time they served the kids first - but at 7.45pm!!! I think Virgin have a LOT to learn about children - even after all their years of operation. Apart from these niggles the "service" was good but as I say only provided you wanted what they were serving at the time and that was rarely drinks. As for the Bag drop - the reason for that taking so long was because there was one extra flight going out - it had been cancelled from the day before, those poor passengers had been airside when their flight was pulled after the plane was damaged. I'll post again later about the fun we had at Immegration, I'm going to be firing off a letter to Virgin! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Glad to hear you arrived safely but sorry to hear you had such a disappointing flight . Hope the holiday helps you forget it all . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Clur Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Where are you flying to Pengy? I must admit, from all the flights I've done for work, I'd choose Virgin over the others every time (much to my dad's distaste - he's ex BA!). My last flight out to the US I flew Continental and Delta, oh my, it made me grateful for Virgin and the others!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Geoid Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Emirates are the best! I had a 22h flight to Australia changed over to them (because of the fog at Heathrow a few years ago) Drinks trolley every half an hour, brilliant in flight entertainment, good food too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Glad you arrived safe Pengy, but the flight sounds mad! Poor James having to wait for his food - that seems awful, serving the specials before the children. Not only does it make them tetchy, but usually after eating, most kiddies fall asleep (satisfied). So the cabin crew must have been a bit dumb! I've never flown with Virgin & not sure I want to. We flew with Quatar last year, they were brilliant - drinks & food all the time! We were stuffed! In February, we are flying with Ethiad - anyone any experience of those? Relax now Pengy & really enjoy your holiday! Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Where are you flying to Pengy? I must admit, from all the flights I've done for work, I'd choose Virgin over the others every time (much to my dad's distaste - he's ex BA!). My last flight out to the US I flew Continental and Delta, oh my, it made me grateful for Virgin and the others!!!! Florida,the lucky mare!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
abwsco Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Where are you flying to Pengy? I must admit, from all the flights I've done for work, I'd choose Virgin over the others every time (much to my dad's distaste - he's ex BA!). My last flight out to the US I flew Continental and Delta, oh my, it made me grateful for Virgin and the others!!!! Florida,the lucky mare!!! Wonderful place but I hope she's done lots of planning as being at Disney over Christmas is fantastic but we wouldn't do it again. Parks full to capacity Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sunshine Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 abwsco-we have done Disney at Christmas too. My dad also said never again because it was so busy. Have a great time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
BarbaraJ Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 I'm so i've been to florida in May but only euro disney at christmas well the week before. We flew Virgin the last time we went to florida in 2002 and loved it, just went and asked when we wanted a drink there was no problems, didn't think it was worth buzzing for was quicker to go ask. Attendants were great and very friendly. we bought a big map at a gas station and used that but i thought now you could get Sat nav for your holiday , i would Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 I have experience with Virgin myself, whilst we were in Florida a few years back my husband put his back out (picking up a flannel would you believe) however he wasn't able to 'sit' so had to be flown back upper class so he could recline. They would only move him to upper and left us in economy, which was fair enough, I dont expect miracles, however I was assured that the children would be able to see their dad every now and then as he was unable (without pain) to get up and come to see them. This did not happen, the time they tried to see him they were ushered like peasants through the curtain. Virgin got a letter off me and my travel agents as well, it made no difference, they do not see the upset they caused my husband or kids on that flight. They only wanted to make sure he was ok. his section of upperclass was empty except for him, so we didn't see the harm they were causing, they were not distrubing anyone at all, just some jumped up little jobsworth stewardess who I might add had more make up on than boots sell in a year! ok sorry rant over.. go Pengy you get em! Have a great holiday!! The kids loved Shamu at seaworld! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Christmas flights are always always dreadful, regardless of airline - they are just SO busy, and SO full, and lots of people on them are either grandchildren (with their harassed parents) or grandparents (with their harassed children!) which inevitably means more people need more help from already overstretched stewardesses....so the services is always well below what it would be otherwise! I hate flying at the best of times, long haul at Christmas is the pits though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Phonix Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 Id blame it on the time of year too - Ive flown to Florida with Virgin and the staff were lovely and drinks were brought round whenever you requested them as well as every so often and the cabin crew were always popping round with blankets etc and just generally checking that your ok! xXx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted December 22, 2008 Share Posted December 22, 2008 I've flown with Virgin to Florida and they were brilliant - especially for a nervous flyer like me. Perhaps you had an 'off' crew. On most flights I've been on the kids always eat first - common sense really. Hope you enjoy your Christmas in Florida Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 Well we've had a lovely day today although a short one as we woke up at 4am and are now very tired! Mum is already asleep, We were at Magic Kingdom this morning and it wasn't that busy - staff are saying its been a LOT quieter than usual in recent months, credit crunch and all that. I'm sure it'll still be mad Christmas day but hey last Christmas we spent the day home alone and were just bored! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted December 23, 2008 Share Posted December 23, 2008 I cant think of a more magical place to spend Christmas, it's wonderfull there, I was such a big kid. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...