millymollymandy

Chinchilla breeders near MK?

Hi my OH is desperate to get chinchillas which I can understand as they are very cute!

The only thing is I don't know where to get them from.

They have them in pets at home but after bad experiences getting a hamster from them I will never get a live pet from there again.

There were some advertised at the local vets and we went to see them but they hadn't been handled much and weren't very tame.

Apparently they can live for 10 years or more so would prefer to get them when they were young so they are used to being handled.

I live in Milton keynes so if anyone has any ideas I would be gratefull.

I know what you mean about buying pets from a shop... however I did get my rats from the 'preloved' area (at the back, next to where the vets are) and I'm really happy with them. Alternatively you can try the Preloved website (got my lovebirds from there - hand-reared, very tame), they usually have chinchillas but you might have to travel a bit to collect them.

Good luck

Ana (also from frosty MK)

Hi thanks for the replys I have found a chinchilla rescue centre in northampton called rjchinchilla rescue. Its ran by a lovely couple Rowan and Jane who rescue chinchillas and keep them rehome them. I now have two lovely chinchillas tic and tac will put some pics up at some point. Also they only wanted a £35 donation for each which compared to Pets at home who charge £150 for a pair of ill looking neglected chinchillas is great considering the work they do. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in chinchillas.

We used to have chinchillas years ago, we had them for quite a number of years. But very sadly my husband had a kind of asthmatic reaction to them and we had to rehome ours which was one of the saddest days of my life. Lovely animals.

We had a pair, they had 2 litters, 2 the first time and 4 in the second litter, they usually only have 2 at a time because they only have 2 teets, I used to hand feed the stronger 2 while Mum looked after the smaller ones, every 2 hours! They are brilliant mums. (One of our chickens is named in memory of our mum chinchilla, Misty)

They love raisins.

Post some piccies soon.

Nicola