They should be Okay without grit. It's not a food, just a suppliment to harden shells.

I give my girls a handful maybe every other week and their eggs are always hard shelled.

They pick up bits of stone when they peck around.

I am not sure if you can use anything from Homebase, I would have thought not, though.

Now, am I getting confused??? I have read that grit is for breaking up food in the crop, and broken shell is for making the egg shells (being too soft for breaking up food). I certainly have two different ones.

Many people use oyster shell for grit which is indeed used to break up food in the gizzard. However the grit itself is pulverised in the process and being oyster shell, is high in calcium which in turn, being absorbed, is used in forming the eggshell.

The idea behind recycling the eggshells is to add extra calcium. Baking them just makes them easier to crush.

Layers pellets have grit added I think.

Mine free range and never get any grit and their egg shells are nice and hard. The new layers' eggs were softer - but that's what happens with new layers. Check your layers pellets, some contain enough gritty material that you don't need to give any extra, especially if they free range.

BTW baking egg shells is to stop the hens realising that you're giving them egg shells, otherwise they might start pecking the eggs before you get a chance to collect them! Cooking them changes the taste and smell.

BTW baking egg shells is to stop the hens realising that you're giving them egg shells, otherwise they might start pecking the eggs before you get a chance to collect them! Cooking them changes the taste and smell.

Ah I didn't know that :doh::doh:

Of course it makes sense.

I grind mine in a pestle and mortar to a co"Ooops, word censored!" powder and add it to their mash.

My local PAH (Crayford) only has pellets and I can never find Grit. None of the other smaller pet shops seem to do anything similar (yet!).

I must admit that I can't always get grit in the horse suppliers that I use for the food and supplements etc so I've been relying on baked egg shells and the fact that just outside the run I have a lot of pea shingle.

I bought two bags last time so that I don't run out so quickly.

The ideal grit for chooks is flint grit (I have seen it in Scats). It is very sharp and is taken down into the gizzard where it grinds up the food (especially important if you give your girls mixed corn). Small stones the girls pick up when free ranging in the garden are not so effective as they tend to be weathered. Do not feed your chooks oyster shell (calcium) by itself as the calcium/phosphorus balance is upset within the hen leading to thin egg shells, rickets, brittle and early loss of feathering.

Good quality layers mash/pellets is formulated to provide the correct ratio of calcium and phosphorus to produce sound egg shells. There is no need to supplement it with crushed egg shells.

I gleaned this information from a poultry newsletter I take produced by two guys with over 50 years experience in the trade.

Hope you find this information useful. :)

I gleaned the following information from a poultry newsletter I take produced by two expert guys with over 50 years experience between them in the trade. I hope you find it useful :)

The ideal grit for chooks is flint grit (I have seen it in Scats). It is very sharp and is taken down into the gizzard where it grinds up the food (especially important if you give your girls mixed corn). Small stones the girls pick up when free ranging in the garden are not so effective as they tend to be weathered. Do not feed your chooks oyster shell (calcium) by itself as the calcium/phosphorus balance is upset within the hen leading to thin egg shells, rickets, brittle and early loss of feathering.

Good quality layers mash/pellets is formulated to provide the correct ratio of calcium and phosphorus to produce sound egg shells. There is no need to supplement it with crushed egg shells.

Yes, that is pretty much what I read, but I did also read that you should provide some crushed shell if the birds are freeranging as they wouldn't necesserily be getting all the calcium they need from the lesser amount of pellets, and they would know if they need the extra shell, and not eat it if they don't.

I put a small plate out of it for mine about 3 weeks ago and at first they had a fair bit, but they don't seem to be touching it now. But it is there if they need it.

The ideal grit for chooks is flint grit (I have seen it in Scats). It is very sharp and is taken down into the gizzard where it grinds up the food (especially important if you give your girls mixed corn). Small stones the girls pick up when free ranging in the garden are not so effective as they tend to be weathered.

Do not feed your chooks oyster shell (calcium) by itself as the calcium/phosphorus balance is upset within the hen leading to thin egg shells, rickets, brittle and early loss of feathering.

I gleaned this information from a poultry newsletter I take produced by two guys with over 50 years experience in the trade.

Hope you find this information useful. :)

What's this?

I give mine oyster shell. Comes in a large sack labelled "Poultry Grit" from my local farmers' shop.

Have I been doing something wrong?

Chooks seem OK and their eggs are fine.

What's this?

I give mine oyster shell. Comes in a large sack labelled "Poultry Grit" from my local farmers' shop.

Have I been doing something wrong?

Chooks seem OK and their eggs are fine.

Oyster shell can be bought separately, sans grit and much more finely ground than the identifiable pieces in mixed poultry grit.

Advice varies about this.

Some suggest the feeding of flint grit only alongside layers pellets, maybe for that reason. *shrugs*

yeah I've tried ebay - all the suppliers are based in the UK and postage is astronomical, as can be appreciated since they would be sending rock!

I'm trying to sweet talk www.birdfood.ie into stocking flint grit - they stock layers & oyster shell grit and mixed grain and offer free shipping on orders over €80 which is great, I'd be planning to stock up for 3 months at at time anyway and so would easily be spending that amount...

I've sourced Bokashi in a green energy shop where it's sold as a composter and will make do with supermarket garlic powder. Although I will get my redmite powder from Omlet.