Guest Penguinmad

Has anyone seen Bovril recently???

My granny likes it as a drink - she says it's one of the few things she can taste but she can't get it in the Sainsbury's she shops in. I've looked in Asda and Waitrose but no sign either although the online shopping comparison sites give a price for it in Ocado, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda.

Its a jar she's after - poor thing is struggling lately, my stepgrandad is in a bad way - he probably had another stroke this week. She is 85 and trying to do to much, she makes little sense on the phone but the last time I spoke to her she was on about this bovril which is one of the few things she likes and can taste. I thought I'd buy a jar and stick it in the post for her - but I just can't find one!

My online searches reveal it was at the centre of a salmonella scare last year - so I'm wondering if thats why it isn't on the shelves still.

So Omleteers - can we find a jar on the shelves???

I bought some recently for my DS who was ill and couldn't eat anything. I think it was from Sainsburys, but may have been Waitrose.

My online searches reveal it was at the centre of a salmonella scare last year - so I'm wondering if thats why it isn't on the shelves still.

Thats a bit of a worry. Hopefully my jar isn't a rogue one, hidden at the back of the shelves, missed by the staff during the great Bovril clearout :anxious:

Loads of Bovril in Asda in Roehampton Vale. It was near the marmite.

I used to eat spoonfulls of it when I was younger!

That's the trouble, it's not near the Marmite (where I always look first :wall: ) in our local stores, it's with gravy & stock cubes.

Love Bovril on toast or as drink, but not spoonfuls! :lol:

I've also found that Bovril, a long time favourite of mine, hasn't been seen here in New Zealand either for well over a year.

BUT......... why was the Bovril on sale here for years, marked as "suitable for vegetarians" and "made in the UK, confirmed by the makers as NOT containing any beef product when I enquired. I notice the UK Bovril (on the Sainsbury site and also currently unavailable) is marketed as Beef Bovril?

It's fabulous stuff. Far better than Marmite, My Mate and Vegemite.